We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
VA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

I I would like to travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi by bus or other public transit. I would prefer not to rent a car as I will not be returning to Jerusalem. I have beed advised as a tourist not to travel through the West Bank.

Are there any bus services that travel around the west bank?

Would it be easier if I leave from another city?

Are there any private busses / services that run a route like this?

Would a taxi be possible / very expensive? (it looks like 3-4 hours to go around West Bank)

Should I not be concerned and just take a public bus through West Bank?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

Hello ttbtom and welcome to TripAdvisor!

The West Bank is not an entity. There are two entities in the region - Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA).

Israel and the PA have signed an agreement (the Oslo II accords) that divides the West Bank into (roughly) 2 areas - Palestinian areas (Area A + Area B) and Israeli areas (Area C).

The route from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea goes exclusively through Israeli areas, you will not have any problem whatsoever.

Therefore, no need to be concerned going through Israeli areas - just take the bus from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi.

Map:

http://www.abmaps.com/

Dark & light brown colors - PA areas. All the rest - Israel.

VA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

Thank you very much! And pardon my ignorance on this topic. I hope to learn much more before and during my trip.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

Backing up Amos' comments - take the bus -no problems to be concerned with at all.

4. Re: Travel from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi, avoiding West Bank?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 17, 2015