We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bronx, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

Could you tell me the latest nesher sherut price to Jerusalem , and can I pay in us dollars?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

The price is 64 NIS to Jerusalem.

No, you can't pay in USD. The currency in Israel is the Shekel (New Israeli Shekel). You can exchange easily at the airport.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,075 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

There are both ATM's and currency exchanges at the airport - you'll have no difficulty exchanging some dollars to shekels.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

Is the exchange rate at the Airport ATM reasonable? Would I be better off exchanging my money in the US at my local bank in order to get NIS? I will be traveling for 9 weeks and Jerusalem comes about 3 weeks in, and I would prefer not to carry the NIS through out my travels.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

Do not change money in the US you will get a poor rate. Just change on arrival in Israel. It's easy to do.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

I am renting an apartment and to pay when I arrive at the apartment. So once again is the better rate also at airport ATM machines. It is not always so at other airports.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

The ATM rate is determined by YOUR bank, not by the Israeli bank. After all--YOUR bank is the one giving you the NIS. THEY buy them at a commercial rate and decide how much of that to pass on to you, how much to keep for straight up commission and how much to keep for hidden commission ( as in the exchange rate) . You will be limited as to how much you can withdraw daily. This limit is partially instituted by your bank and also by the owner of the ATM. The rate when you exchange cash is slightly less at the airport BUT unless you are changing thousands of dollars, the amount is incidental.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

ATM's at the airport are fine. You can use one before or after baggage claim. I like to take money while waiting for my luggage. Then I can easily pop into the toilet and stash it away before I have suitcases to manage.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

For comparison purposes, you can always check the current rate being offered by the Israel Post Office (no commission):

http://tinyurl.com/nh6mcrl

You can probably get a slightly better rate at the currency exchange stores (along with shorter lines and longer hours)

Edited: 3:33 am, February 18, 2014
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

I can only speak for myself and my bank, I get a better rate from the ATM then I do from the currency exchange stores!

rg--since I see you are a NYorker, I used TD bank and keep a minimum of $2,500 in the checking account to have no fee ATM withdrawals. Bottom line, you can open the account a few weeks before you go and close it after you return if that suits your budget! Also TD gives me almost commercial rate! They keep very little.

10. Re: us dollars for nesher sheret from ben gurion airport to jer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 20, 2015