We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Hi everybody,

In the second half of February, we plan to spend two days in the Dead Sea area. We have already booked one night at Masada.

We will take a bus from the CBS, Jerusalem.

Where should we go first?

Of course, we would like to "swim" in the Dead Sea (the mud wraps sound interesting, too).

We are hikers and would like to do some hiking too (of course, we will walk up to Masada but is it feasible to walk up on the plateau - from Ein Gedi, for example?).

How much time do you think we need to get a thorough experience of the Dead Sea, also considering the weather in February?

When is the last bus from the Dead Sea area?

Is there a possibility to leave our backpacks somewhere (though light), if we decide to hike up on the plateau - or also walk around Ein Gedi´s botanical garden, etc.?

Many thanks,

Katarina

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

You're welcome Katarína T.

In Masada, you can leave your bags at the youth hostel, see the visitor's center, go up to Masada from the west with the Snake Path or the cable car, tour the site, then come down the eastern side through the Siege Ramp Path (zoom in on the site diagram parks.org.il/ParksAndReserves/…masadaEN.pdf ), maybe visiting the water cisterns on the way, then head south on the red/white trail and transfer to the black/white trail heading east up to Mt. Elazar, along the summit plateau and back down the youth hostel.

From the Siege Ramp Path to the hostel will take about 2 and a half to 3 hours.

Remember to fill up with 2-3 liters of water p/person before heading on the red/white trail and make sure you're back at the hostel before sunset.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want a topo map or more details.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

I do not agree with the others regarding Qumran which is a lovely hike. I would not drop it. The park affords you access to a great hike with fantastic views from above via a dry waterfall (not open on rainy days). It is not a particularly long hike, but very steep. You can walk within an aqueduct and continue climbing to the top of the plateau. I do agree that Masada is THE place to visit, but if you don't have the time or just want to take a great hike and visit a very important historical/archaeological site I would go to Qumran. Don't know about luggage storage which is problematic at all National Parks, but you could write to each one and see which may be able to help you out.

Chana

Israel

23. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, July 04, 2017
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Katarina, great that you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the information regarding Nahal Arugot, there are no such lockers available at Nachal David.

Chana

Israel

25. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, July 04, 2017
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

The entrance to Nachal David is the main entrance to the Ein Gedi National Park and no - despite what Lonely Planet says there are no lockers there - anywhere.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Oreet, Katarina says she saw lockers there! And it's obviously not just something she read in a book because she gives a full description.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Shuffaluff - Katarina said she saw lockers at Nachal Arugot and I am not questioning that.

She then asked if there aren't lockers at Nachal David - and to that the answer is still no - there are no lockers at either entrance to Nachal David.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

Oreet, sorry, my mistake... I thought your "no lockers there - anywhere" referred to, well, anywhere!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 2-day trip from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea area

No problem - I think for now it is all clear - the OP saw lockers at Nachal Arugot which is a great convenience - but Nachal David still has nothing like that - so plan accordingly.