We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

On a Monday morning, after our son's bar mitzvah at the Kotel, we would like to visit Rachel's Tomb and the Cave of Machpela. I am trying to figure out the best/easiest/safest way to do this. (I do not feel a need to spend time in the Hebron community beyond visiting these places).

I guess it is possible by public transportation, but I don't really want to bother with bus schedules, etc. I suppose that leaves a taxi or a guide, as options. What is your advice? Will most taxis be willing to go to these places? (Like, for example, the average taxi that is waiting outside of the Dung Gate?) If I do this by taxi, would I take the taxi to Rachel's Tomb, have the driver wait, and then go on to Machpela, and wait for us there, and then drive us back to Jerusalem? Or can I just take a taxi to these places and then find another taxi there, to take us to the next place? Any idea -- even a rough idea -- of what this might cost? Or would I be better off with a guide? If so, where might I find a guide to do this, and what should I expect to pay? Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

Thanks Chana. I will pay several hundred dollars if need be, though of course I would like to avoid that.

What I am thinking might make sense is hire a taxi driver to drive us from Jerusalem (either Dung Gate area, if we go straight from the Bar Mitzvah, or Agripas Street if we go back to our apartment first) to Kever Rachel, wait for us there, and then drive us to Machpela. Any guess what that might cost, assuming we spend only 15-20 minutes at Kever Rachel while the taxi waits? Would the taxi do this trip on the meter? Would it be better to order a taxi the day before, so we know that we will have a driver who is willing to do the trip, and at a specified time and place, and using the meter?

Then, we can take the Bus back to Jerusalem from Machpela.

That way, we will only have to worry about the bus schedule in one direction, rather than in both directions. And I suspect the bus from Machpela to Jerusalem will be very easy to find. (Or if it is not totally obvious to me, someone at Machpela will be able to point us in the right direction).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

I would just go straight from Dung Gate to Rachels' Tomb as you are closer to it than if you go back to the apartment. I do NOT recommend just grabbing a taxi but hiring a taxi driver to be with you for all of your travels that day. A taxi from Dung Gate will be around 50-60 shekels (depending on traffic). Wait time is 100 shekels per hour. From there it's about 40 minutes to Hebron (around 200 shekels), and again the wait cost. So I would make a rough guestimate of it costing you about $200 (perhaps a bit less) for a full day in a taxi for up to 6 hours of work. Do not use a meter, have the dispatcher (remember you should hire the taxi to meet you at a certain time and place) give you a price for your exact itinerary (including approximate waiting times) and where you are to be dropped off in the end.

There are buses from Maarat HaMachpela every 1 or 2 hours, so you need to be sure you know when and be at the stop a few minutes prior to the bus. If you take the bus back, the cost of the taxi will be at least $50 less, in my opinion. If you miss the bus, it's not the end of the world, as there is what to see in the city and there is also a snack bar where you can get something to eat if you are hungry (and a gift shop with unique goods from Hevron).

Chana

Israel

Then, we can take the Bus back to Jerusalem from Machpela.

That way, we will only have to worry about the bus schedule in one direction, rather than in both directions. And I suspect the bus from Machpela to Jerusalem will be very easy to find. (Or if it is not totally obvious to me, someone at Machpela will be able to point us in the right direction).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

The bus to and from the Machpela is pretty much right in front. It is a no brainer. RE: taxi--if you decide to take a taxi definitely make arrangements in advance. Hopefully Debi will come on and recommend a good taxi company.

re: going to Hebron in general. There is no need to be concerned. Ask your Israeli friend when she last went or if she is responding to the grapevine of gossip and no facts that says don't go!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

Buses from Hevron to Jerusalem (route 160) are at (not counting those in the early morning that won't be of interest to you) 10:07, 10:37, 11:07, 12:52, 13:22, 13:33, 14:02, 15:27, 15:52, 16:52, 17:22, 18:37 and later, but I assume that again you don't need those. The bus stop is right next to the cave.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

Can you share after what you do? We might be interested in same for April

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

Actually you will be before me, since I am going in June and you in April. But I think I am inclined to hire a driver to take us to Kever Rachel, wait there for us, and then continue to Machpela. Then we will take the 160 bus back.

17. Re: Rachel's Tomb and Machpela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2015