We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographers...I need your advice!

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorful Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Photographers...I need your advice!

On March 16, 2014 the full moon will rise at 17:43 out of the due east. The sunset is at 17:47. So as the daylight fails the moon will move above the horizon. Given this infrequent event, what feature in Jerusalem might be a good photo-op? (We plan to schedule our trip around this date.) Of course not all buildings or high vantage points are open at this time of the evening so I'd ask what vantage point you would recommend? What length lens will be required?

Thanks....Marty from Colorful Colorado

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

It will be Purim, when the weather is nearly always terrible, with heavy rain destroying kids' costumes. I hope you'll be lucky though!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Shuffaluff-- I"ve been in Israel the past few years for Purim and there was no rain. ( at least not where I was and I was in different places)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Don't disillusion me! :) ;)

I thought Israel was a balmy paradise with perfect weather all year round. ;)

(If anyone has any surplus snow please send it my way- it's 38.4 deg C at the moment (101.12 Fahrenheit) and we are expecting a top of 40 deg C. (104 deg. Fahrenheit).

Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

hi.

These places would be good and open.

1. As mentioned Hass promenade (same name as Talpiot or Armon Hanatziv). A bit far from the old city but good views.

2. As mentioned the Western Wall outlook. The view is straight east.

3. Chabad street rooftop promenade. Wide view to the east with the dome of the rock and mount of olives.

4. On Batei Mahase street you can clime on the old city wall. View to the south and east.

5. The bench in Blumfield park (Yemin Moshe neighberhood, Heinrich Heincne street). Good view to the old city. Catch the moon rising above the churches of mount Zion).

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
171 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Marty,

I am interested in Jerusalem but have never been there. Obviously not being an expert the only advice I can give you is to check out an app called Helios. I have used it to get a better idea of the location of the sun,etc. in places I planned to visit and photograph. Good luck on your trip.

Colorful Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Doron,

I greatly appreciate you very specific recommendations. We will check these out and give it a go.

oksooner1...thanks for the tip on Helios. I've used The Photographers Ephemeris in the past.

Marty

Colorful Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Well Jerusalem was just a fantastic photo-op. Here are some things we learned.

1) Take a Taxi to the summit of the Mount of the Olives for a sunrise to get ideal shots of the old city and the Dome of the Rock. Then walk down the paths to the spectacular churches and arrive before the crowds. Most open at 8:00 but the Russian Orthodox only opens at 10:00 and on selected days. Be ready to use high ISO and high ISO noise reduction features.

2) The Western Wall is best photographed late afternoon from a public balcony. Leave the Western Wall area via set of steps at the South West corner. It goes up several flights and then you can turn North on what may be Batei Mahse. Keep looking for a public passage back East towards the Western Wall and with luck you will find it.

3) Late afternoon visit the Citadel/Tower of David Museum near Jaffa Gate. There is fee so pick a day with good light and clear skys. This has the best views of the whole city from above. Take a long lens. Our 55-250mm was good but I could have used more lens. A polarizing filter and tripod can be useful here.

4) A wide angle lens is very useful for images of the old city wall and its gates.

5) Exit the Eastern Wall at St. Stephen's Gate (Lion's Gate) and turn right into the Muslem Cemetary for nice views of the Mount of the Olives. Stay on the path and please afford this region great respect.

6) Visit the Haram esh-Sharif (Temple Mount) for wonderful photos of the Dome of the Rock and other features. It opens at 7:30 AM but arrive at least 45min early to be among the first and ensure entry. It is easier to move through security if you take only the minimum. Circumnavigate the platform of the Dome of the Rock on the next lower level to find trees and features to frame your images. You may also have an opportunity to move to the East of the El Aqsa Mosque to photograph its entrance and then to the South (Kidron Valley) and East (Mount of the Olives).

7)Take the tour of the Western Wall Tunnels and be prepared to work with high ISO. Its dark but impressive.

8)The Church of the Holly Sepulchre is very, very crowded during much of the day. However, it does open at 5:00AM. Be respectful of the services in progress and you can move relatively freely. Again high ISO and high ISO noise reduction are useful.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Fantastic info. I am glad your trip went so well. Jerusalem is a fascinating place and has wonderful photo opportunities.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

Thank you for the info! Please post a link to your photos.

I'll have my tripod in tow when we visit in May. I love using a nd filter for long exposures.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Photographers...I need your advice!

How much time did you spend at the Mt. of Olives altogether? I spend a lot of extra time taking pictures, so trying to decide how much time to allot so I can plan for the next activity.