We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Hi all,

Despite all this snow craziness, I really want to make it down to Jerusalem tonight. Does anyone know if the sherut from Ben Gurion airport will be going into Jerusalem? I was given a number 02-625-7227, but can't seem to get anyone on the line.

Thanks!!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

kgonz123

As far as I know parts of Jerusalem are out of power and telephone (lines)

You can call Amal Haifa and get to Tel-Aviv. From there take another taxi (if you are lucky) to Jerusalem

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Do not attempt to do this!

It is snowing very heavily again in Jerusalem and the roads will be blocked.

You are very unlikely to get an answer from Nesher now. The city is basically in shutdown. Thousands of homes have no electricity (including my own home - I'm somewhere else now).

People who tried this journey yesterday spent up to eight hours stuck on the highway until they were freed.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Don't even think about coming to Jerusalem today we are cut off completely

Edited: 10:34 am, December 13, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

The Police has sealed the roads leading to Jerusalem, only emergency vehicles get through.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

While off topic--to Amos, PRSV,Debi and Jebus--stay warm and dry! Just think--when this is all over you will be telling stores to your grandkids -:)

kgonz--listen to those in Jerusalem. If you disregard them the story you have to tell will not be pretty. What do you intend on doing in Jerusalem--looking at the snow???? It is foolish to put yourself in danger, as well as those who may have to eventually rescue you.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Wow, I am just reading the Jerusalem Post which says:

"Municipality bracing for up to 20 inches of snow; police urge public to remain indoors; Jerusalem Mayor Barkat says city facing "a rare storm, the likes of which we've never seen"; tens of thousands without power."

Twenty of inches of snow!!!!!

The link to the page with heaps more on is here:

jpost.com/National-News/Jerusalem-Municipali…

Edited: 12:32 pm, December 13, 2013
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

I just caught another sentence in the same news item...

"The Egged bus company announced that it had stopped service to the capital and that it would only restart service on Saturday night contingent on improved conditions.'

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

What about trip from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv? I have a plane to catch on 14th of December evening, and so far have no info if sherut or train would be available? Do you have any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Try to keep in touch with your airline, I would imagine the city of Jerusalem will try to open as soon as possible. Understand the amount of snow they are getting is rare and unique.

edited to add:

Look at the article Heather linked. There may be a train to Tel Aviv the city. If so, and you are not Sabbath observant, get on it. You'll be able to get transport from Tel Aviv, the city to Tel Aviv the airport ( which is NOT in the city)

Edited: 2:36 pm, December 13, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sherut to Jerusalem TONIGHT!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice! I definitely made the right decision and cancelled my plans.

BUT I want to re-attempt today...it looks like Israel Rail will be running a train from Haifa to Jerusalem tonight. Once at the train station, does anyone know if it would be difficult to get a cab to take me to the bus stop in the Jewish Quarter? My friend lives right by there.

The next morning I'll be looking to make it to Bethlehem (my ONLY opportunity to do so before my flight leaves on Sunday)...does anyone know of the bus service from Jerusalem to Manger Sq? THANKS!! I really appreciate all the help.

Mentioned in this post
Jewish Quarter
Jewish Quarter
1,488 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel