We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Topic
German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Has anyone rented this property VRBO #390654?

I am considering it for our stay in March and would love some feedback about the place or even thoughts on renting in the German Colony.

We are a family of 4 ( 10 year old twins) and we will be there for 5 days. My thoughts were to be in a good location for dinner and after the touring when kids may be tired and not up going far to eat, even if we are not within walking distance to the sites. I understand the buses are good in that area. We will also have a car for day trips from JLM so I think parking is easier as well.

All advice/thoughts welcome.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,563 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

The German Colony is an excellent location and really is not very far from the Old City as far as walking is concerned. As you know there are plenty of eateries and you should be able to find parking, even if not right next to the property (which I am not familiar with).

Chana

Israel

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Thanks for your reply Chana. I know it isn't that far. However I don't want to wear out my kids in the "getting there". I would rather save their energy for when we are at the site. Also, for my suburban kids, riding the bus will be half the fun! I am glad to hear that this is a good location. Last time my husband and I rented between Jabotinsky and Keren HaYesod and it was fine but we did have to trek out almost every night to another neighborhood for dinner.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

bloomdia - I lived in that very building for about four years! Tell me which apartment - maybe it was mine (this was about 14 years ago, although I still live in the same area).

You certainly won't have any problem finding somewhere to eat as there are several dozen restaurants in close walking distance - not just on Emek Refaim, but also on Bethlehem Road (Derekh Beit Lechem) which is only a five minute walk from your apartment, and also at the First Station (also 5-6 minutes).

If you're going to be there over Shabbat, you should be aware (and may be already) that most of the restaurants in the area are kosher and won't be open. If you want to eat at one of the two restaurants open at the First Station you must make reservations in advance. As you'll have a car, you could easily drive to restaurants in the center of town, Ein Kerem or elsewhere.

As for parking - it won't be very easy, I'm afraid. All the roads around there, including Masaryk itself, now have paid parking using roadside meters or ticket machines and limited to three hours at a time; only local residents with a sticker park for free. The nearest free parking on roads would be around 500 meters away I think. On Shabbat (Friday around 6 pm through Saturday around 7 pm) you don't need to pay and parking places will be more readily available.

Edited: 10:58 am, December 10, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Just to add that parking is free from Friday at 1 p.m. until Sunday morning at 8:00 on blue and white kerbs only. There are restaurants open at the First Station which is close by: Check out Adom or Landwer Cafe. There is also Colony restaurant which is just off the Bethlehem Road and not far away. For Friday evening reservations would be advised. None of these places is kosher however.

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

PRSV-

I don't know which apartment, however the listing says it is on the second floor:

www.vrbo.com/390654…

We will not be in JLM over Shabbat which is good as far as eating but not great as far as parking. I normally wouldn't have a car in JLM but this time we will have our kids and doing more day trips. Perhaps when I have my itinerary more firm I can minimize the days we need the car although with kids more flexibility is needed and they can rest a bit in the car as well. I'll have to hope for the best.

Thank you for your feedback about the area. If you know anything about this apartment I would love to hear about it. It seems perfect for our needs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Just chiming in to say that I stayed on the next street, Hananya, a couple of years ago and am planning to return to same location this spring. Lots of places to eat and a bus stop with many many routes right on the corner of Hananya. Also an unofficial cab stand, almost always one waiting or pulling up soon. So you will do fine.

As for parking: I've not had a car recently in Jerusalem but the owner/manager of the little apartment house where I've rented has noted that they can (try to?) arrange for parking on request. Don't know the cost.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

Even with kids, I would say get rid of the car in Jerusalem and forget about trying to deal with the parking. The cost of taxis will be about the same as renting a car even if you are taking them a few times a day. Distances to the sites are not that far and the bus can be a second good option if your kids aren't too tired at the end of the day.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

ItalophileNJ

Can you help me understand? The manager of your rental property said they could arrange for parking for their own renters or for people who need parking in general?

What exactly does that mean?

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

For their own renters, sorry for the confusion. . As noted on their website; it's Colony Suites. I only mentioned it as an indication that parking is not easy in that area.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: German Colony rental 4 Masaryk

OK, that wasn't my apartment (I was on the ground floor). Anyway it looks great and the location is great.

To get back to parking: About five minutes walk from the apartment there are some streets with unrestricted roadside parking. E.g. - at the end of Emek Refaim you turn right on to Elazar Hamoda'i St., and particularly the smaller side streets there (Resh Lakish, Yehoshua Bin Nun south of Elazar Hamoda'i). So you could have a routine where the driver drops the rest of you by the apartment, goes on to park, walks back - and vice versa when you're going out. A bit of a pain, but not unbearable - and free.

However I also agree with anmejoshme that you might consider not having a car in Jerusalem or at least limiting the car time there to the minimum.

Edited: 1:08 am, December 11, 2013