We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

ok for school we are doing a project on a city of our choice in the middle-east and chose Jerusalem,Israel. Ineed to know the yearly Climate, and what are some don`t does and what to mostly pack. You know any thing that maybe i didnt add above please HELP ME please i would really appriciate it. Thank you soo much and instant message or mail me at Yamahagurl200@aol.com

thats my screen name.

Thanks alot!

Kayle

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

Jerusalem is a city perched up on hills and has basically two major seasons (winter/summer) with short "bridges" inbetween. Winter usually starts in November-December and goes through February-March with dropping temperatures, though it can remain quite cool even into May! We have had snow even in April on occasion!

In winter, the cold wind can be quite strong and during the winter months, we usually have rain, which can make it feel even colder! Freezing temperatures are the norm at night, and when the sun is out, the days can still be quite warm (though the air will be cold).

Summer can be very hot with the hottest time usually in August-September-October (though in October, evenings begin to cool down abit). Summer can also bring dry, hot, sandstorms from the east! It's sort of like rain, but with sand falling instead of water! In fact, there is no rain in the summer at all, so if you are visiting during that time, leave your raincoat & umbrella at home!

That said, on to the appropriate clothes! Jerusalem is usually considered a bit more conservative (and "religious") than other parts of Israel, but still, it's a very casual place. Most people really do wear jeans and casual slacks, even women, depending on the place, neighborhood and occasion. In the ultra religious neighborhoods, women should wear "modest" dress - preferably skirts (not pants) - and cover arms and legs. Whenever one visits a religious holy site, no matter of which religion, modest dress is appropriate.

In the winter, you'll want layers of warm clothes and a heavy warm coat, hat, scarf & gloves!

In the summer, we are used to seeing tank tops and shorts, especially on tourists, however, the better choice is always something a bit more "conservative", though shorts (not too short) are fine... except, again, for holy sites. In the summer, you'll also want to have a hat to keep the sun off your face and sunglasses.

And everyone, even sometimes in winter, wears sandals! I think it's the "national" footwear. Still, some of the stone streets (like in the Old City) and the generally hilliness of the city require good walking shoes so that at the end of the day, your feet won't feel too sore!

From shopping trips to family parties like weddings or birthdays to funerals, meetings, concerts, even walking tours, the dress is usually "casual" - from casual slacks to long skirts & sweaters to business-type suits (with or without ties) - basically anything goes, within reason.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions about dress in Jerusalem, and I'll be happy to try to help you.

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant

jerusalem, israel suztours@gmail.com

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

For the weather have a look at -- www.WeatherBase.com --.

england
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

i am thinking of going to jerusalem in march 11 for 1 week

is it safe to go as lots of my friends are tlling me not to go .would like to hear your views thank louise.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

Hi Lilia - after living here for the most part since 1981, I can tell you that it is as safe here in Israel as it is just about anywhere in the world! I understand the comments and concerns from family and friends, but that's because most people get their information from TV and not from the people who live here!

So - come and have a fabulous time! You'll find wonderful people, terrific food, great places to stay, interesting and exciting sites to explore and all the while, you'll be saying to yourself that you feel so safe and secure... and when you get home, you'll surely convince others to come visit, too!

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant

jerusalem, israel suztours@gmail.com

CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

I'll be going in October. Has anyone been during this time? What is the weather like? What should I pack? Capri Shorts, pants, or both?

Big Stone Gap, VA...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

Also, you should always take both shorts and long pants, sleeves, etc....if you plan to visit any Holy sites....some do not permit shorts or sleeveless clothing on premises....also, a wrap skirt or just a wrap of any kind that you can tie around your shorts to cover your legs works well. and be sure to have good shoes for walking if you are touring. touring equals long, full days with many stops and a lot of walking...some of the sites are too rough for sandals, especially flimsy sandals...but good supporting sandals are nice in the hot weather...i always took my sandals with me each day, so i had the option to change.

If you plan to visit the Dead Sea, you will need swim shoes, the bottom is very jagged and rough...they are also handy for other places...just depends on your trip and what you have planned.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

JENN31, I live in Sacramento, CA. We visited Isreal in 1999. The weather/climates are almost identical. It can still be quite hot during the day but cool at night. One thing my wife found incredibly useful was a nice, very thin, lightweight, very large scarf. she used it as a head covering, a skirt or shoulder covering at some of the holy sites, and also general decoration.

She also wore sunglasses alot. Not just for the normal reasons but it may be offensive to some for women to make eye contact with Muslim men, and since she can't resist looking at people the sunglasses were the easiest solution.

Have a great time!

STAR77, one 'DO' is - Do cover yourself, legs shoulders etc. when you enter any holy sites.

One 'Don't' is - Don't take photos of orthodox jews on the sabbath or any holy days. It is considered a breaking of their religious laws.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

JENN31, We did visit in October by the way.

Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

Has anyone been to Mt.Kar Kom? We may be joining a group and camping over-night for one night, two days.....What type shoes, clothing should I bring?...Interested in any info...for ALL mountain tourism/Religious sites....Shalom~I~Love~J~C~2

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what will i need to pack to go to jerusalem?

I Love JC 2: Haven't been to that particular mountain, but have hiked and camped a lot all over Israel. I had hiking boots, but never wore them. I mostly hiked in sport sandals if I was in the desert, and running shoes most other places. I found it was just too hot to hike in heavy hiking boots. What you wear depends on what season you are in, and what area you are in. Read what others have said in this thread and also, if you are hiking in the desert, remember that it can get very cold at night even if it is very hot in the day. It can also be very windy. Same if you are in the sea of Galilee area...it can be somewhat chilly at night in the hills...I slept outside a few times in the hills overlooking the lake and was thankful for my blanket, even in summer. In winter, I wore a touque (that's wool hat for non-Canadians), fleece jacket, goretex jacket, windproof pants and gloves and had a good sleeping bag and tent.

Have fun! Israel is an amazing country!