We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hebrew phrase ....

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hebrew phrase ....

Could someone who knows both Hebrew and English give me a linguistic translation of how to pronounce this English message in Hebrew?

I don't know Hebrew letters. You would need to spell it out how I would pronounce it in Canadian English, with the appropriate intended Hebrew word meanings (ie. the right useage of the word "love").

I want to learn to say this phrase before I visit Israel.

"I love you. I pray that God blesses you with His peace. This is my gift to you."

Thanks!

Travelgir

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

I think going up to people randomly in Israel and saying this, could be misconstrued.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

To be correct, it depends on whether you are a man or a woman, because verbs have masculine and feminine forms. And it also depends on whether you are speaking to a man or a woman, and whether to one person or more than one!

It would be simpler to ignore all that, though, and say it all in the masculine (even though I am a woman), and assume you are speaking to one male person. However, in the interests of simplicity, in all frankness, you will be understood better if you say it in English rather than trying to get your mouth around the rather difficult pronunciation, and in all likelihood mangling it.

Although I am not sure where you will have a use for this phrase... Are you proposing to say it to strangers you meet in the street? Israelis are not in the habit of saying "I love you" to strangers, any more than they are in Canada.

edited, having read samd's post, yes, see my last sentence above!

Edited: 6:37 am, October 01, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

I'll have to second what was said - even if we do provide you with a phonetically spelled out script - you probably won't get past the second word before whomever you are speaking to tells you to say it in English, questions you as to what you mean.

Saying something like this is so alien here in Israel I doubt that people will get what you mean.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Okay, then use something less strong. Like ... I care about you.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Okay, then use something less strong. Like ... I care about you.

Or ... I think about your country. Less personal.

The gift is a pin with Canada and Israel flags.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Firebride, you didn't mention a gift in your opening post. That changes things.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Would "shalom" mean all that? Perhaps that is all that is needed, and a handshake.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

I understood the "gift" as being God's peace, and as Oreet says, this would be seen as a very peculiar thing to say to a complete stranger, in Israel as anywhere else.

Say what you want to say in English, without being too "loving" and personal. It will be much better understood than mangling a complicated sentence parrot-fashion in Hebrew. Most Israelis know at least some English, and it's not as if we are talking about life-and-death situations where it is vital to be understood.

And I have to say that if a complete stranger came up to me in the street, said "shalom" and gave me a flag, I would find it very peculiar, to say the least!

Edited: 7:03 am, October 01, 2013
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Sorry I wasn't clearer ... but I think you are getting my intent now ... what would be okay to say?

Someone told me once that to try to learn some Hebrew is really appreciated ... so I want to try to do that.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hebrew phrase ....

Firebride,

It's not a problem, just let us know if this is coming from/addressed to a male,female or group