We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying an entire balance upfront ...

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paying an entire balance upfront ...

Is it usual for a homeowner to request that a reservation be paid for entirely right away, plus a deposit?

Some posters here have said that having someone require that is a red flag.

I am just wondering if there is a standard approved practice with rentals. Sometimes there is an unwritten but known way of doing things.

I inquired about a property through FlipKey ... and this was the request there - everything, including deposit, paid in advance - and deposit refunded 10 days after checkout based on owner approval.

A very good peace of mind insurance assurance was offered as well, but when I checked with the BBB, FlipKey has had a number of quite serious unresolved complaints - so I was hesitant to reserve in that way - but I might like to, if I felt it safe.

Thanks to those who reply, with knowledge. Much appreciated, as this is the first time I am considering renting through groups like VBO, and using FlipKey as a convenient way of paying.

Travelgir

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

Welcome

Some of my relative own cabins in several villages in the north, they will ask for credit card number at reservation (in case of no show) and will ask for payment at check-in. We just had a weekend in such place (we rented 4 cabins for a long weekend) and paid at checkout.

I would further check for other options

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

It is common to be asked to pay in full up front by management companies for apartment rentals. Be sure to read their refund policies carefully before paying.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

When I rented an apartment in Jerusalem for about ten days, all I had to pay was a deposit to reserve, the balance was due in cash at check in. The people seemed so nice and since I didn't want to have to gather that much cash in addition to waling around money, I went ahead and sent a check for payment in full. Had no problems and got my deposit back promptly.

Happy travels!

Roxanne2010
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

Double check your travel insurance policy - you do have one don't you? - especially the detail for accommodation expenses. IF it is hard to translate - most travel insurance policies can be! - ring the contact number and speak to a human being. Get their full name, location, an email address for questions and a direct phone number. This level of detail is essential since they are usually based in some obscure location for a call centre. Then email the company and ask your question regarding refunds for accommodation expenses again. Include a comment that you have been told by the named staff member that you are covered. When you get a reply, print this and you have supporting documentation IF you have any problems relating to a refund or no service.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

If you pay back credit card within 60 days of when you will be there (this applies for US credit card laws, not sure about other countries) you will be fine because the place is different than you were told or doesn't exist, etc you can call your credit card company (with in 60 days) of the charge and file a charge back dispute for services not rendered. I wouldn't pay by cash or check before you get there. Also, as always check reviews / references before booking anything.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

We booked an apartment through airbnb.com because the terms there seemed safest. This is what they say:

When submitting a reservation request to a host, the guest provides his or her payment details and the payment method may be authorized for a charge. If the reservation request is retracted, declined, or expires, we do not complete the charge and any authorization is released.

If the reservation is accepted, the payment is processed and collected by Airbnb in full.* Whether the reservation is two days or two months away, we hold the payment until 24 hours after check-in before giving it to the host. This gives both parties time to do a walkthrough upon check-in and make sure that everything is as expected.

You can also see reviews from other people who have stayed at the place of your choice so if you choose an apartment where there are plenty of good reviews it seems to be a good way to go.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

Thanks. Those are good ideas.

8. Re: Paying an entire balance upfront ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014