We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking tour suggestions to:

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking tour suggestions to:

Will be in Jerusalem June 16th through 23rd and would like to know the best way or the best type of tour to take to Masada and the Dead Sea. Anything to a private tour to a Business Group Tour.

Also looking for information on how to get from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv and from Tel Aviv to Yaffo.( I hope I spelled that correctly.) I hope I am not opening myself up to many replies from tour guides looking to sell their services. But rather I am looking for those of you who have experienced these places and can recommend tour guides or tour companies they have used. Thank you.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,971 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking tour suggestions to:

Hi! Welcome to the Israel forum.

Let me take your concerns first. Although there are a number of tour guides who freely share their knowledge on these forums, it is against the rules for them to contact you directly. They can and will offer suggestions.

In terms of tours to Masada. There are basically a number of choices. You can drive yourself and tour yourself. You can join a "tour" from Abraham's tours which is basically transportation only, you can take large bus tour ( day trip) or you can hire a private guide. The choice depends on you and what you want to spend.

If you are interested in a guide, then I suggest you read the 7th or 8th Top Question in the Israel forum. ( you are in the Jerusalem forum) In it I have written out how to find and interview a private guide. I have also identified the guides who post on this forum. In addition a large number of other people have added the names of guides they think are good.

The large companies are Egged Tours, United Tours and Ben Harim. Their tours on paper are pretty identical--how good they actually are----depends on the guide of the moment.

There are also a number of ways to get from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv. Most expensive, is private taxi. then there is the sherut ( shared taxi) or a bus ( 480 or 405 depending upon what you are doing next)

Yaffo ( that is the transliterated spelling and Jaffa is the English word) and Tel Aviv are the same municipality. Depending upon where you are in Tel Aviv the way to get from one or the other may be by foot.

Hope this helped!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking tour suggestions to:

A private guide will run you $300-$350 a day to take you to Masada. That is if you are driving a rental car. If you need a guide with a car, you are looking at $600-$750 a day. These prices are for the day regardless of whether there is 1 or more. Bus tours run under $100 a day a person. Abraham tours is the only group tour that includes Ein Gedi as well as Masada and the Dead Sea. It is not a tour but offers transportation and self-guided materials. I think that Ein Gedi is just an amazing place and well worth including in your day with Masada if you like a desert oasis experience and like to have a walk in the desert next to the waterfalls . If you are looking for a personal experience where you can visit the sites you want to see, then a private tour is the way to go. In addition to visiting Masada, you could also visit the Ein Gedi botanical gardens and Qumran which are not included in any of the group tours. There is more than a days worth of things to see and do in the area so a private guide could tailor a day tour to your interests.

From Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, taking the bus is the usual and easy way to get between the cities. Very inexpensive and the buses leave every few minutes. It takes about an hour. If you want to take a taxi, the prices are set so there are no surprises.

When you are in Tel Aviv, you can see Yaffo from anywhere on the coast. You can walk if you are in the southern part of the city or you can take a taxi if you are too far to walk.

3. Re: Seeking tour suggestions to:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 26, 2014