We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knesset

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Knesset

On their website, the Knesset shows that they schedule times were people can view debates. Does anyone know if this schedule is consistent, for example, is it EVERY Monday and Tuesday at 16:00 and Wednesday at 11:00 and do they do this on December 31 and January 1? I've asked recently on these forums if their tour schedules run as usual on these days and the answer was yes. Thank youl - Eve

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knesset

Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 are no different than any other Tuesday and Wednesday in Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,317 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knesset

Knesset tour schedules are consistent and as already noted Dec. 31 and Jan 1 are "normal" regular days in Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knesset

Yes, they are on the same schedule, however, it is always good to check their website a few days prior to your intended visit in case of any changes. Note that a 12 noon tour requires that you be at the Knesset at 11:30 due to the time it takes to go through security -- and bring your passport with you for identification.

Chana

Israel

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knesset

Does the Knesset have anything similar to the Britsh Question time with the Prime Minister and is it for public viewing? I know I wouldn't understand what they were saying but it would still be neat to see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knesset

Does the Knesset have anything similar to the Britsh Question time with the Prime Minister and is it for public viewing?

No

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knesset

The public gallery is open on Mondays and Tuesdays at 4:00pm and Wednesdays at 11:00am for the public to watch the debates. Arrive with plenty of time in advance as security will take some time. Unless you are fluent in Hebrew, I don't think this would be 'neat' to see but may be fairly frustrating. I would suggest it is not a good use of your holiday time. Not only do you have to be fluent in Hebrew but also understand the contexts of the discussion. It is unlikely that anyone else would be available to translate or explain what is going on during the proceedings. Having sat in the Parliament public gallery in Ottawa on many occasions, I see that tourists, especially those not fluent in the language, are quickly bored to tears. So often, even Canadians are ready to give it up after only a few minutes. Do take one of the public tours instead, these are very interesting.

Edited: 8:10 am, September 25, 2013
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knesset

Thank you. I am interested in the workings of government but agree if there is no one there to translate, then I wouldn't get anything out of it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knesset

During regular sessions of the Knesset the public is not allow to be in the gallery. The days and times it is open is when there is generally not much going on in the Plenum, but it is still interesting. The tour takes you walking through the halls and so there is always a possibility of getting a glimpse of an Israeli politician.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knesset

According to the Knesset website ( as the OP indicated) the public IS allowed in the gallery. I agree, without understanding Hebrew it would be boring, but the option is there.

http://www.knesset.gov.il/tour/eng/evisit.htm

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knesset

By the way, you don't have to go to the Knesset to watch the debates. You can also watch them live (both the plenum and some committee meetings) on the Knesset Channel: …knesset.gov.il/News/…Channel99.aspx

In terms of the workings of government it is also very interesting to take a tour of the Supreme Court, not far from the Knesset, which you can do for free every day Sun-Thurs (in English at 12:00, Hebrew at 11:00).

elyon1.court.gov.il/eng/siyur/index.html