We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Hi

I'm back again planning another section of my trip. You folks have been a fantastic, and an amazing help to me- thank you.

I will be in Jerusalem for 4 nights, and on the Friday I have to make my way up north to Kibbutz Yizrael, which is just outside Afula. Which is the easiest and most economical way to get to Afula?

Many Thanks,

MB.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Afula bus station isn't so bad, all puns aside. The worst thing about that bus station are the washrooms, not up to the usual standards for public washrooms in Israel. Lots of good snack options though.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

*grin*. Pastor Al, I got it straight away. My grandfather was a lover of puns. ;)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Al - that probably went way above the head of any non-Anglos, but it definitely made me smile :-)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

What kind Afula'm I ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,503 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Just to point out that the last train to Afula left in 1951. If you wait a few years you'll be able to take one on the rebuilt Valley Railway! The old station is still there, a few minutes walk from the central bus station. I'm happy to expand on this if anyone is interested.

Afula bus station is OK. Nothing fancy or special, and unlike many bus stations in Israel it hasn't been rebuilt (it's pretty much the same as it was when I first made its acquaintance some 40 years ago), but it serves its purpose.

USA
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Thank you again. I will take the bus and if I miss it for whatever reason, I can pick up a taxi.

Do the taxis from Afula operate late on the friday afternoon?.

Yizrael is very beautiful - I spent 3 months there as part of the Machon program many years ago, and this is my first return visit. I was also on Kibbutz Ginegar for 3 months also nearby, so I will pay a quick visit there

This may be the wrong forum, but since you have all been so helpful, I will throw in a quick question here.If you think I should transfer it to the Haifa Forum, let me know.

After Yizrael, I will have one and half days in Haifa. ( Saturday afternoon and Sunday)

1) On Saturday late morning, can I get a taxi from Afula to Haifa and roughly how much would it cost me?

2) Half day tours from Haifa on a Saturday afternoon-is there such a thing.?

3) On the Sunday, I know one can get full day tours that start and return to Haifa. Some go up north to Rosh Hanikra. Is there a safety issue there?

4) On the Sunday night, I head back to Tel Aviv. Are there any tours that start in Haifa and "end up" in Tel Aviv, where I could get dropped off? Alternatively maybe I can get a tour on that Sunday that starts in Tel Aviv going up north, that I could try to join in Haifa,and then return to Tel Aviv with them. That would be ideal depending on where the tour goes.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and thank you again.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

The official MoT Saturday rate for a taxi from Afula to Haifa is 262 NIS. You should have no problem getting one.

There are no safety issues at Rosh Hanijra.

I suggest spending Sunday in Akko. You don't need a guided tour there - you can get an audio guide at the Visitors Center:

http://www.akko.org.il/en/

At the end of the day you can take a train directly back to Tel-Aviv:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Tirol, Steiermark...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

ONLY BUS, You need to take the bus from Jerusalem Central bus stop

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Tours always start in the morning unless they are night tours, which are specialty tours. You can take the train to Akko on your own, tour on your own and then take a bus to Rosh Hanikra. Or take the train to Nahariya and a taxi from there (bus frequency to Rosh Hanikra the site is infrequent). Check with Guy Tours Haifa which offers tours departing from Haifa. I don't have their schedule but maybe they have something to Tel Aviv which you could just leave before the group returns to Haifa -- just a thought.

Chana

Israel

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Jerusalem to Afulah - train,bus,or both

Dogmeat, that was cool. But I guess if you had said "Afula his money are soon parted" it might not have gone over all heads.

On another note, there is a McDonald's in Afula . . . . .

LOL