We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jus got back from Masada

East sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Jus got back from Masada

Wooooooow, I don't know what me and my husband was thinking walking down Masada. God is wonderful, my knees were shaky, couldn't walk and could stop either.......I can only say I thank God I made it down in one piece and am currently on my bed at the hotel still reflecting........only God knows how we got out of that one, a miracle, testimony.

Edited: 1:12 pm, August 22, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,506 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jus got back from Masada

Yes, I did that years ago, and was I sorry!!!!! But I'm glad you survived, anyway.

East sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jus got back from Masada

Oh and , the dead sea water straight into my left eye & as I was crawling down to go wash it off there goes a big gallop of water into my mouth and down my throat......yaaaak.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,506 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jus got back from Masada

A trip to remember... ;-)

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jus got back from Masada

When I saw Masada I was amazed at it . I think you are fantastic walking down - there's no way I could because of back issues. I was astounded when we went last year that our tour leader who was a pastor from the USA went and RAN up Masada in the time it took our busload to use the conveniences and go up by cable car. I think he did it in just under 20 minutes. Well he is an ultra marathon runner I guess that explains it!

I sympathise with the Dead Sea water - I got it in my eyes also and it took ages to wash my eyes clean as I wear contact lenses. Once in the Dead Sea was enough for me. I am happy to stand guard over other people's possessions and take photos for them. :)

Enjoy your rest at the hotel! You deserve it! :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jus got back from Masada

For the benefit of other readers - If you are planning on walking the snake path at Masada, make sure you do it early in the morning and walk UP rather than down. The walk down is far more difficult than walking up.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jus got back from Masada

Spaghetti - sounds like you're collecting some good stories to tell when you get back home... :) Take care, and enjoy your trip!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,506 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jus got back from Masada

My walk down the Snake Path is memorable for two reasons. One I have already stated, legs like jelly for hours afterwards. The other was stopping to give a rather overweight father and son, who were panting and gasping on their way up, my water, because they didn't have any of their own. I don't know whether they made it to the top!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jus got back from Masada

Sounds like you had a true Dead Sea experience :)

Sorry you got the full treatment - and yes, Dave is right, as odd as it sounds, walking down is much harder than going up - but you did it and for that you get two gold stars.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jus got back from Masada

Congrats on your successful trip. It may leave you with aching muscles now, but boy do you have a story!

BTW Heather I'm with you. One trip in the Dead Sea and I have absolutely no interest to go near it again.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jus got back from Masada

For those without joint or mobility problems, the Snake Path is not so hard! I am not very fit but it is fine for me- both up and down (and I am middle aged). I also love floating in the Dead Sea, you just have to be careful not to get that water in your face.

I just had to add this to reassure people that these activities are great, BUT, they are not for everyone. Know your limits and stay within them. If you are not used to hiking, then do yourself a favour and take the cable car. If you don't like water or are not completely comfortable in water, take a pass on floating in the Dead Sea. For me, these would be 'must do's' in Israel.

Spaghetti L -hope you are on your way to recovery. Think of your accomplishment! Bragging rights back home. Enjoy the rest of your trip:)