We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
511 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

If one takes a taxi from Jerusalem to Masada, do the taxis generally wait while you spend hours poking about? or do they generally head immediately back to Jerusalem? (I recognize that you'd pay for the taxi to hang around). If the taxi drops you at Masada, how difficult is it to (and how do you) get a taxi to return to Jerusalem? Is there any kind of taxi stand at Masada?

How much would a taxi each way cost?

How much would it cost to have the taxi take you to Masada, wait for 3 or 4 hours hours, then head back to Jerusalem?

Or would it be better to say good-bye to the taxi as it drops you at Masada and make arrangements then with that taxi driver to pick you up at a cderttain time for the return trip?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

I think you need to hire a driver. Masada has no taxi stand.

Edited: 12:04 pm, August 06, 2013
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

Why not rent a car for the day ?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

You could take a taxi there and then the bus back. While waiting at the bus stop at Masada, it is very common (but not guaranteed) that a taxi will stop and offer to take you back for a decent price.

If you are only doing Masada, it would be a good option to take a taxi there and take a bus back. The bus stop is right at the base of Masada so you are not in some remote location on the highway. Check the schedule for the buses and get to the stop about 10 minutes early as the buses may arrive early or late and they don't wait if they are early.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,024 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

see here for buses:

www.egged.co.il/eng

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

A taxi there and back would cost around 1200 shekels plus 100 shekels for each hour of waiting time. I would consider renting a car which would be much less expensive even if you take it for two days.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
511 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

If I were in the States (or most places in Europe), I'd rent a car in a heartbeat. But taking a look at Google maps, mapping out directions just to get to Route 1 on the way out of Jerusalem, the route looks incredibly complex, particularly since I do not read Hebrew.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

It is not hard to get out of Jerusalem. I agree it looks complex but it isn't. I did it the first time last August--just followed the signs for route 1 and Maala Adumin until I saw signs for route 90 south. BTW ALL signs are also in English so language is not a problem. You do occasionally see signs in only Hebrew--what they say is of no consequence to tourist--may be truck restrictions or notices of upcoming construction. Also, sometimes you see an all Hebrew sign, but it is translated a little bit further down the road. Sometimes the two ( or three--including Arabic) languages are all on one sign. REnt a car. You CAN do it!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,024 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

The route is very easy to follow and all traffic signs are in English (as well as Hebrew and Arabic). Follow signs to Ma'aleh Adumim (spelling may vary slightly), until you see signs to Dead Sea, and just keep going.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

Most places in Europe ? Try driving around South London, for example .... and all the signs are in English !! Jerusalem is no different from any other city and once you get on Highway 1 you can't get lost.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi - Jerusalem to Masada & Return

I'll second (third? fourth?) that driving to Masada from Jerusalem is not difficult. If you're nervous, you can even check out the whole route on Google Street View before you leave.