We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to do day trips to these places

East sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to do day trips to these places

All from Jerusalem to the list below and how best can one get there.

To Tel Aviv

To Jordan

To Bethlehem

To Canaan

To Nazareth

To Bethal

To Niniveh

Sea of Galilee

Caperneum

Jericho

Masada

Babylon

Sorry for the long list

Thank you for your time

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Day trip to Babylon or Nineveh ? They are in other countries (and milleniums).

Tel-Aviv, Bethlehem, Jericho and Massada can easily be done in day trips from Jerusalem. Nazareth, capernaum and the Sea of Galilee should be part of a multi-day trip to the north.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Jordan is also another country and not a day trip at all.

Canaan is one of the Biblical names for the Land of Israel.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Niniveh and Babylon are in Iraq!!!

Jordan is also another country if it is Petra in Jordan you want to visit the answer is no.

Canaan and Bethal ??????

East sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Thank you so much please kindly help me with the ones I can access and leave the ones I cannot. I appreciate your help

I meant the Jordan river.......is that not in Israel then?

Edited: 5:06 am, May 22, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Assuming you are asking about public transport, and working down your list in order:

Tel Aviv is a very easy journey by bus from the Jerusalem central bus station. Buses go every 10-15 minutes and the journey takes just under an hour.

Buses to Bethlehem leave from the bus terminal outside the Damascus Gate of Jerusalem's Old City. They go frequently and the ride is about half an hour.

Nazareth: there is only one daily bus from Jerusalem (in the late afternoon), but there are frequent buses to Afula, the transport hub for the north, from where you can take another bus to Nazareth.

Bethal - do you mean the modern Jewish settlement of Beit El? There are several bus a day to Beit El from Jerusalem. However, I don't know whether there is anything of historical or religious significance to see there today.

Sea of Galilee - there are buses from Jerusalem to Tiberias. Capernaum is on the Sea of Galilee.

Jericho: see Bethlehem. Buses leave from the Damascus Gate.

Masada - several buses a day from the central bus station.

For timetables see www.otobusim.co.il (click on "English") in top left-hand corner. This covers the whole of Israel. Jericho and Bethlehem are in the Palestinian Authority and not included on that website.

As already said, the other places are not accessible, and even ceased to exist thousands of years ago. The Bible isn't the best guide for 21st-century tourism!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

To add, yes, the Jordan River is (partly) in Israel. There are a couple of baptism sites with easy access, if that is of interest to you.

And for Beit El, I found this website. I know nothing more than what it says on the website and I have no experience of this heritage centre and the tours, which are from an Orthodox Jewish perspective.

East sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Thank you Shuffaluff your answers have been of great help am now searching for a tour guide I have noted places I would really want to go to , is it easier to get one when I get there or to book one via the websites.

And which one is the best

Yes am Christian would love to be baptised in there where Jesus was baptised, I just need to get there!

Edited: 7:06 am, May 22, 2013
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

You have to book guides and acommodation before coming. Same with car rent.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Tel Aviv, Masada (and the Dead Sea) Bethlehem (Palestinian Authority), Jericho (Palestinian Authority): all easy day drips from Jerusalem using public transportation

Jordan River: there's one baptism site near Jericho ( allaboutjerusalem.com/article/qasr-el-yahud-… ) and one near the Sea of Galilee ( http://www.yardenit.com/ ). Both are best reached with a rental car or tour.

Nazareth, Sea of Galilee, Caperneum: these are in the north of the country. They are best visited with a rented car (or a tour) with a night spent in the area

Bethal- as mentioned above, there's a modern village called Beit El, but there are no significant archaeological ruins there

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it possible to do day trips to these places

Look online for a good map, that will help you out tremendously.

For what you want to see, you need to book a tour guide in advance as well as accommodations.

A private tour guide is not inexpensive. With a car, you should budget about $750 a day. A walking tour guide about $350 a day.

Some places you want to go will require a car which you could rent and drive and take the guide with you or you could hire a driving guide.

There is another way to do this and that is by group day tours which will provide you with transportation, a guide, admissions etc. Check out links like this http://www.eggedtours.com/

You can see that for about $100 you can see the Christian sites around the Sea of Galilee in one day for example. These are really long days, 10-12 hours long but you will get to see many of the Christian sites on your list.