We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

I am considering the Hecht Synagogue at Hebrew University as a possibility for my son's bar mitzvah. Does anyone have any experience there or advice to share? Thanks!!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

It's a nice synagogue, but it's a somewhat strange location to get to, as it's right in the middle of a sprawling university building. There is an amazing view of the Old City from the windows of the synagogue. Women are up in a gallery, and guess what, the Old City view is not visible from there :(

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

I second the "strange location". I'm not familiar with the synagogue, but I do know that trying to find your way around the concrete jungle of the Mount Scopus campus can be inconvenient, to say the least. Your guests won't be very happy if they have to spend ages looking for the place (and possibly missing the bar mitzva as a result!).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

I guess the question would be are you expecting your guests to find their own way OR are you hiring a bus or van to transport them. If so, no one would get lost!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

re. rdglady - the problem is not the usual one of driving to the right location - the campus is easy to find - the problem is finding the synagogue once you're inside the campus. It's a little way from the entrance to the campus in the middle of a maze-like building, whose structure seems to repeat itself every time you walk around a corner. So even with shared transport, unless everyone is literally moving as a group, at least some signage would be required to make sure that everyone actually ends up in the right place. I know the campus well, but the first time I went to the synagogue I ended up wandering around the building for a while trying to figure out which identical corner it was hiding around... [Clue, there are some sculptures in the corridor outside the entrance'.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,660 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

Some years ago I was doing research in the university maps department. You really needed a map to find the department! Long corridors all looking identical... go and photocopy what you need and then try to find your way back to where you were before. Awful.

As Avigailchaya says, it's a terrible place to have to find your way around. Even if it's the most beautiful synagogue on this or any other planet, it loses several points because of the logistics of getting there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

If the idea of using Hecht had to do with desire for a great view, you won't get it there (as someone else already wrote). But you *could* get it by using the patio of the Maiersdorf faculty club. You'd still have to make sure people could find their way there, but the setting might make it worth it -- the view is exquisite.

7. Re: Bar Mitzvah on Mt. Scopus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 25, 2014