We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington,England
Level Contributor
133 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Hi

We are a family of three arriving late at night on a Monday (10.00pm) and have to get to the Lutheran Hostel in St Marks Road, Jerusalem. I think that the closest that we can get is the Jaffa Gate. Would we be better in a taxi or sherut? Any advice on approximate costs would be greatly appreciated.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

There is no reason to take a private taxi - a sherut will do just fine, either will drop you off at the Jaffa Gate.

Make sure that the hostel knows you will be arriving late.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

The Nesher shuttle (sherut) costs NIS 62 per person including luggage. A taxi will cost NIS 312 (night rate) plus extra for the third passenger and also a bit extra for luggage. So there is no reason to take a taxi.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Do call the Lutheran Guest House to tell them when you are arriving (perhaps have the cab driver call them on arrival). They will send someone to meet you at the Jaffa Gate to help you with your luggage. At that hour of night, you do not want to be stumbling around the Old City with luggage looking for it.

And I agree -- at that hour, take a private cab and don't fool with a sherut for the limited savings.

Ask the driver to ask whoever comes for you to ask for you by name -- just to be safe. It's a very good place to stay -- I enjoyed my visit there.

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 7:45 am, April 08, 2013
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Cross posting this here (wrote in another post related to traveling with a car seat/baby). We arrive at 5 p.m. on Friday and need to get to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv. Is taxi the best way with a baby?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

As said by Oreet and shufauluff, there is NO reason to take a taxi. You can take a sherut--they both drop you the same place. Even paying to use the car seat on the sherut is considerable savings. ( 5PM Friday is night rate as is all day Saturday)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Well, there actually is a reason to take a private taxi.

A sherut is a shared taxi, meaning you may or may not be the first person let off. You may even be the last one dropped off.

If you are travelling with little ones, it's late, and want the fastest most direct route to your destination then take a taxi.

You already have been told of the cost differential.

Dr. Z

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

I have to agree with drill-n-fill. On our recent trip, we were told it would be a 5 minute wait for the sherut. They then decided to load people to a different location in the sherut we were waiting for so we had to wait for the next one (no biggie). But then we had to wait for the sherut to fill up and our driver to finish his smoke break and stop showing pictures from his i-phone to his friend. We wound up waiting over 40 minutes before our sherut finally left the airport...it was ok for us but if we'd had little ones with us, I'm sure the wait would have been more of a challenge.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

Thanks all. How many people fit in a sherut? Meaning, if we have to pay for three of us, and the sherut fits four, couldn't we just buy all the seats in the sherut and it would still be cheaper than a taxi? Is it obvious at the airport the different lines for taxis and sheruts?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

The vehicle seats 10 passengers. So paying for all 10 seats obviously would cost a lot more than a taxi if you're only three people.

There is no confusion between the lines for taxis and sheruts. Everything is well signposted. The sheruts are, um, big vehicles that seat 10 people, so they are hard to miss! They are yellow and white, with the company name, Nesher, on them.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ben Gurion Airport to Jerusalem

There are 10 seats in a sherut van.

It is very obvious at the airport - the taxi vans are sherut, and there are BIG signs near them with the destination and pricing. The "private" taxi is a bit more further, and there is signage "Taxi - All destinations".

Signage to the various taxi and sherut lines is clear and visible just as you exit the arrival hall (exits 01/02/03).

If I would have to sum it up - if you want sherut, exit through gate 02 (just in front of you when you entered the arrivals hall) then a right turn for Jerusalem or a left turn for Haifa & area.

If you want a private taxi - take exit 01 from the arrival hall (on the left of exit 02) pass the train station entrance and take a left, you will see a line of taxis and a dispatcher booth.