We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa For Israel?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Usedom Island...
4 posts
Save Topic
Visa For Israel?

Hi. I will be visiting Jerusalem for 8 days this December as a tourist. I have never been on a plane, not mention out of the country (I live in America) I think that I will need to get a visa, but I am not sure where or how to get one. I have also seen some people asking about whether or not to get your passport stamped in Israel, why wouldn't you get your passport stamped? So I guess I just need information about how to obtain a visa and what type to get.Thanks so much!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa For Israel?

I am not sure how you got from America to Germany if you've never been out of the country. However, if you have a German or American passport you will get your visa on arrival at the Airport.

The reason some people don't want their passports stamped is if they are going on subsequent trips to countries that will not accept them if they have an Israeli stamp. This is no longer a problem as Israel no longer stamp foreign passports at the Airport.

Usedom Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa For Israel?

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I also haven't been to Germany, I am not sure why that is listed on my profile ;p

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa For Israel?

If you are going to do a first flight, you have picked a long one and will be a flying expert at the end of your trip. If you have other questions, this is a good place to ask. Are you going with a group or on your own? Is there a special reason you are going to Israel now?

It is a very special place to visit, you will have an amazing time.

Usedom Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa For Israel?

I know, I am most nervous about the flight! I am going with a group. It has always been on my bucket list, but a friends mom is a pastor so she can get a discount to go as a clergy member. It probably wouldn't have been my first choice of trips, but I can save a lot of money doing it now and it is an amazing opportunity. I do wonder about what to wear. I usually dress in a pretty modest fashion and it will be winter, but I don't want to be offend anyone with my clothing. I have a lot of research to do yet. I assume that I will have connection flights in other countries as well.... Do you know if l will be needing to get a visa for those countries?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa For Israel?

No visas needed assuming you have an American passport. For connecting you usually don't leave the airport so you aren't 'officially' in that country.

You can wear what you feel comfortable in. Israel is a very casual country and being that it is winter you will hardly be going sleeveless. Jerusalem can be quite cool in December and you will also need to plan for some rainy days.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa For Israel?

You will fly out of the USA and many, many times you will be having a flight from some USA gateway city (like Newark, just as an example) directly into Tel Aviv. And even if not...if you were on a flight that took you to Germany and then to Israel...you would not be leaving the airport so no need for anything other than your good ol' USA passport. If this trip is in December I would think that all of the details would pretty much be already set. Can you get more information from the tour organizer? We are always here to answer questions for sure.

Kathy

Usedom Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa For Israel?

Thanks for all of the nice replies. I currently live in another state from everyone that is going and I've tried to ask questions via email, but the answer is basically "Just bring money and your passport" The details have been set and it is sort of last minute that I am going. It doesn't really matter what we do or where we go, I would go anywhere, but I think it will be quite different than America and want to be prepared. Does anyone have recommendations of food to eat? I will be with a group, but is it safe to explore on my own?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa For Israel?

It's very safe to explore on your own.

You can find food from all over the world, but try some distinctly Israeli/Middle Eastern food such as a falafel sandwich, a shawarma sandwich, and if you want to have some real fun -- shakshouka!

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa For Israel?

Some practical recommedations - bring TWO good, not new walking shoes with good soft socks. You'll walk alot visiting. Don't worry about food, you'll stay in hotels and probably have breakfast and dinner there. It si buffet style so you'll be able to choose what you like. Be prepared to eat lots of vegetables and fruit, along with other choices. Very good selection of bread and rolls. You can drink the tap water, no need for bottled water (saves many $$). Buy a big bottle when you get it and refill it. Buy a guidebook so you can see what are the main sites. Your trip will be mostly Christian sites and it nice to be familiar. On the Israeli forum page are TOP QUESTIONS, one deals with recommended guidebooks. See which one you like.

Edited: 6:09 am, March 26, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa For Israel?

Yes, going to Israel will be quite different from America- that is one of the things that makes travel so exciting. However, Israel is a modern, first world country and you will see many similarities. In major cities you will see American restaurants like Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC. They are considerably more expensive than in the US and while in Israel, you might want to partake in all the wonderful food available. Salads are huge in Israel with lots of fresh vegetables, seeds and nuts and great cheeses. Sandwiches are sold everywhere as are all kinds of pastries (both savoury and sweet). Filtered coffee is not the same as in North America, but most North Americans will order Cappucino, which is rich and creamy (not so much like what we get at Starbucks). Fresh juices, squeezed when you order are also popular. December is a time when citrus is ripe on the trees and you will get lots of citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits (so sweet you don't need sugar on them), kumquats, etc.

Jerusalem is a blend of old, very old and new and modern. It is a city for walking and to tour you will be walking a lot. In the old city streets are narrow and for the most part, pedestrian only since they go up and down steps. There are lots of uneven surfaces. The sites, smells, tastes are unlike anywhere else.

The main language in Israel is Hebrew and Arabic is also an official language. English is widely spoken and in Jerusalem especially, it is unlikely that you will meet people dealing with tourists who don't speak at least some English. Do spend time online to do your research and get a good guide book. It will really help you prepare. Israel can be overwhelming with the amount to see and the emotional bonds people have when they arrive, especially on a pilgrimage. It would be good to have some facts before you go.