We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

We will have a rental car for this excursion, so I don't need public transport suggestions. We plan to do this trip on a Wednesday. Is there a reason this is a bad choice? Is there a reason why a different day might be a better choice.

Based on reading itineraries published by tour bus companies, they always seem to go to Masada first and then head towards the Dead Sea. I'm assuming but not actually sure where these tours head to along the Dead Sea shore, but my research suggests that Ein Bokek is where we should head.

I'm guessing the reason they go to Masada first is because the morning will be cooler than early afternoon.

Given this, we were thinking of reversing our trip and heading towards the Dead Sea first and reaching Masada after the tour buses have left. Is this a bad idea because of the heat? (We will be doing this roughly in the very middle of April.)

I have seen suggestions that a good spot to experience the Dead Sea would be do use the facilities at the Crown Plaza, but am open to other suggestions, too. I had a look on their website and couldn't find the fee for day usage. Do all the hotels around there have day usage/access to the Dead Sea? Are they all likely to supply towels included in this fee? Provided we can have a hot shower to clean off the mud and smell, I can see no reason why we can't then spend the rest of our day heading off to Masada afterwards.

Please may I have some suggestions of where to stop for a light lunch? We would rather not use one of the hotels as they are always much more expensive.

Is the light show at Masada daily? Will we have a problem driving back to Jerusalem in the dark on roads we don't know?

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Pompano Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
31. Re: Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

I am traveling to a conference in July and will have limited free days. My travel companion has never been to Israel although I have been many times. Are there organized trips on Saturday? I know that most of Jerusalem is closed up for Shabbat but it would work for us. We'd like to be able to do Masada and the Dead Sea at least.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

Would suggest the Abraham Hostel Tour which runs on Saturdays. http://abrahamtours.com/theme/dead-sea-tours/

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

Linda, welcome to TripAdvisor.

This one is easy: The Abraham Hostel has trips on Saturdays. These are transport only, no guiding.

http://abrahamtours.com/

And it isn't true that "most of Jerusalem is closed up for Shabbat". Nearly all tourist sites are open, and many restaurants are open, although there is no public transport. And of course the Arab areas are functioning (and very crowded) as usual.

If you have more questions, you should start your own thread rather than jumping in on this old one, because it gets confusing.

Edited to say posted simultaneously, recommending the same tour!

Edited: 12:31 pm, March 30, 2014
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

If you want a traditional tour, with a guide than that is available too on a Saturday. On example is Egged tours.

http://tinyurl.com/ks82cyl

35. Re: Planning a day trip from Jerusalem to Masada and Dead Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015