We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad driver renting a car

Dixon
Level Contributor
160 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bad driver renting a car

I'm an old lady, not really a bad driver-just the opinion of my children. I have not had an accident or citation in 40 years.

However, I drive slowly so I can look at the landscape on the way.

Obviously I won't do well in cities, but how about Jerusalem to Eilat? Can I drive without everyone honking at me?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bad driver renting a car

Dogmeat--when were you last here. That isn't happening the way it used to. Many Israeli drivers are much more patient than they used to be. There are a lot more cars on the road and things change. The only thing that stays the same--the speed. People here drive fast!! ( me too)

Shuffaluff--you are not butting in. You are agreeing with what was said in post # 1, 2, and 4.

Edited: 5:45 pm, February 20, 2013
Dixon
Level Contributor
160 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bad driver renting a car

I enjoyed all the comments, even the ones that hinted I was a dangerous fool. The reason I asked was that I will be staying at Negev Eco Lodge. It's not on any bus route schedule and would require a long walk with all my luggage, which will be considerable after shopping in Jerusalem and side trips for 10 days, bringing home Dead Sea mud for friends and family...

I live in a farming area so driving slow is normal for me. Sight-seeing means checking out if my neighbors crops are growing faster than mine.

About the honking--my last travels took me to Morocco where horns were blaring constantly. There must be a horn code there because everyone was a crazy fast driver but they all knew what the beeps were about and none of the trucks/cars/motor bikes/donkeys/bicycle riders/pedestrians seemed fazed by the chaos.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,473 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Bad driver renting a car

I'm rushing out now to catch a bus so I don't have time to look up exactly where the Negev Eco Lodge is. But they can probably arrange to pick you up from the nearest bus stop. Buses are more ecologically friendly than cars!

Edited: 12:27 am, February 21, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bad driver renting a car

Dixontrump----as one of the people who indicated slow driving can be dangerous--please realize I said it, that behavior, can be dangerous I DID NOT say or infer that YOU were a dangerous fool. I would never say something like that!

I did get a smile out of your description of sightseeing--checking out the crops. You will be surprised as you travel through Israel how closely juxtaposed crops and fruit trees are with the big cities.

Dixon
Level Contributor
160 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bad driver renting a car

rdglady, I was not offended by your post at all and didn't take it as a personal insult. Just the opposite. I learned that Isrealis are blunt with their responses. When I ask a question I don't want a soft response.

I can't wait to experience Israel!

16. Re: Bad driver renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 23, 2014