We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nowhere
6 posts
Save Topic
Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

Hello!

I'm choosing between a hotel in an Old City and YMCA which supposably has a parking space for those who stay in the hotel.

What are my options for "storing" a rental car at night and during a day as I'll be using it mostly for going to the dead sea & similar places (I won't be driving for the whole day)

I'll be living near the Old City anyway.

I don't really have money for paying for the parking....

Are there options to store a car at the place where I rent it ? Is there such a practice if I rent for several days to leave the car at the place where I rent it at night?

Sorry if this question is a crazy one.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

I don't recommend staying inside the Old City.

The YMCA hotel opposite the King David Hotel has a wonderful location. I have met those who stayed at that hotel and parked their rental car just behind the hotel in the small lot there.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

Best place to store the car is at the rental agency where you got it.

Without knowing your itinerary it may be hard to offer up some concrete advice but the general consensus is to NOT have a car in Jerusalem for the very reasons you point out.

Arrange a rental for the days you need it to the Dead Sea etc...

Dr. Z

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

To the best of my knowledge the rental agencies do not have the possibility of holding your car for you overnight - certainly not in Jerusalem.

Nowhere
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

Dave,

" I have met those who stayed at that hotel and parked their rental car just behind the hotel in the small lot there." - is this lot really tiny? I mean what are the chances that I'll be able to actually park there (in march)?

Is it safe to store a rental car in such a way? Could it be stolen?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

I have never seen any rental agency that stores your vehicle. In fact, many of the rental agencies do NOT have large parking areas in the cities but bring the cars in from lots that are outside of the city. ( especially in Jerusalem)

I really think that you need to rethink having a vehicle the whole time you are in Jerusalem. You need it to go to Masada-rent one day. Where else are you going. You write you can't afford to pay for parking BUT you are paying rental charges to just park it!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

Why are you renting a car only to store it? It makes no sense. Rent the the late afternoon before you depart for Masada and return the car as soon as you arrive back in Jerusalem. If you are staying at the YMCA, you'll be located nearly adjacent to the Eldan rental agency.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

The YMCA is right next to several car rental agencies and this area is 15 minutes walk from the Old City, so from either of your locations it would not be inconvenient to rent a vehicle for a day at a time, even if you need it more than once.

Avigail

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

I agree with the others that it should prove you better (parking-wise and budget-wise) to rent a car only when you need it.

I did store an Eldan rental at Eldan parking lot in Jerusalem (near YMCA) during the night once (with their permission of course) - so if you rent from Eldan you may be able to do this, but don't take it as an guranteed option.

Edited: 4:14 pm, February 05, 2013
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

I think my post of storing it at the rental agency was misread!! My intention was to state that one should return the vehicle and rent one when needed.

Nowhere
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking a rented car in Jerusalem near Old City

I just look at the rental prices now and I like them. I know that the prices will be 2-3 times higher in march.

It looks ok to book a car for 3-4 days now.

I don't understand how to book it for 3 days so that it would be for 1 day each time )))) really