We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hezekiah's Tunnels

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hezekiah's Tunnels

Hi I am going in one month. I am wondering should I book a tour for

Hezekiah's Tunnel or wait and see if I get a warm day?

I have been waiting to do this tour for many years but since I am going in January not sure if it is doable. Any advice?

Thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

Hezekiah's tunnel is accessed via the City of David ( Ir David) Usually, you do not have a super crowded situation there. If you are going during Yeshiva break etc ---it may be more crowded. Contact them directly ( they are very good with email responses) and ask. Good City of David for their website.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

You do not need to book a tour for Hezekiah's Tunnel in advance. If you have been waiting for years, I would do this tour, even in January. There certainly won't be crowds going through the water. If you don't do the water section, you can do the Canaanite tunnel which runs next to the water tunnel. If you go through the water, bring a towel and dry shoes and socks that you can change into directly after exiting the tunnel. Afterwards, return to the top through the roman road/dry water channel tunnel which is part of your entry ticket. It is a much easier walk back up and for people who like tunnels and history, great! It is also warmer than the outside air. There are lockers and change rooms at the entrance to the park if your clothes are wet and you need to change. Bring a change of pants or skirt since if you get wet, you can't really wear wet clothes in Jerusalem in January.

You do need a reservation for the Kotel Tunnels tour which I also recommend. There are a lot of tunnels to tour these days in Jerusalem.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

"There are a lot of tunnels to tour these days in Jerusalem."

Besides Hezekiah's and the Kotel what other tunnels are available to tour?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

The new Roman Road tunnel leading from the end of Hezekiah's tunnel up to the entrance to the City of David, or continuing (for a prepurchased ticket) all the way to the exit under Robinson's Arch. A small part of this is the Roman Road, the rest is a water channel that is now dry (well it can feel a bit damp) and ran under the road. There is also a Roman Road on the other side of Siloam's pool that is not yet open to the public and you used to be able to walk part way in there but now a film in shown in this space. I have been told this tunnel will also open to the public at some point but I have no idea when.

I was also thinking about the East Talpiot Water Tunnel (the lower aquaduct) though when I just looked it up now, it says it is closed to the public don't know when and if this is permanent. There used to be guided tours through here not so long ago. I didn't do it but a friend of mine living in Jerusalem did.

The Hinnom Valley has the burial caves dating back 2500 years. The ones behind the Begin Museum aren't tunnels or really caves anymore since their roofs have collapsed, but still are interesting.

Also in this area is the tunnel dug during the war of Independence under the valley of Hinnom to the area of the Zion Gate. You can't walk through this either but can see the entrance near the Sultan Pool at the bottom of the stairs coming down from Yemin Moshe, and the exit by the traffic lights at the base of the hill that leads up to the City Walls. In addition to using this tunnel for moving supplies to and from the Old City during the war, a cable car was also constructed. You can still see it with the wire extended over the valley. For a close up view go to the Mt. Zion hotel and visit the cable car museum (free) which has the photos and info and a you are right there with the works of the cable car. Very interesting part of modern Israeli history.

Zedikiahs' Cave by the Damascus Gate, not exactly a tunnel but you can walk through here and legend has it that a tunnel leads from this cave to Jericho, but alas, not true, it is just a cave but it does extend quite far.

By the IX station of the cross (not sure of the exact name of the church but the guides on this forum will know it) is a short tunnel going down to a huge water cistern. The cistern still has water in it. There is a charge to enter here and you have to be appropriately dressed for a Christian site.

I should have perhaps rephrased the statement to say 'underground' explorations.

By the way, if you want to see part of the Kotel Tunnels that is not included generally on public tours, you can book a private tour. Minimum of 12 people but if you pay for 12 even if you are not, they will take you (depending on the guide and how busy it is) to some of the deeper locations and rooms that not visible on the general tour. I did this in October and we had the chance to see a mikveh with water in it among other interesting sites that were not on the public tour. Lots of climbing and steep stairs though.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

What a great post, Annette!

I only write to add that I thought the recently uncovered Roman Road tunnel was fascinating.

Douglas Duckett

troy mi
Level Contributor
921 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

Agree a great post - and room for a specialized underground tunnel tours business if not already one

7. Re: Hezekiah's Tunnels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 24, 2013