We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

I really want to go to Petra, but I have to leave from Jerusalem and I cant do the 2 day tour. I can only find one option on the internet, yourway.co.il. I am having a hard time finding reviews for them. Does anyone have an opinion of this company? Does anyone have any other suggestions, OTHER than taking more than one day?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

There are one-day tours departing from Eilat (Israel) in the South if you can get down there.

desertecotours.com/english/jordan_short_tour…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

All I know about this company is what I have just read on the website. This tour gives you four hours in Petra (assuming everything goes like clockwork and there are no delays). Most people would consider two days a minimum to see Petra. And you will be travelling a total of 14 hours (including one hour for lunch!) to do it.

You can draw your own conclusions. Bottom line, Petra isn't a day trip from Jerusalem, and I'm astounded that any tour company thinks it is. It could be that there are no reviews because nobody thinks it's actually a worthwhile tour...

The "duration 14 hours" is totally misleading. It is 14 hours TRAVELLING to and fro. You leave Jerusalem at 4:45 a.m., and return to your hotel at 10:15 p.m. at the earliest (the return time of 9:15 p.m. is to Sde Dov airport in Tel Aviv). That is a total of more than 17 hours, with four hours in Petra itself. And it would seem they don't even deliver you back to Jerusalem but you have to find your own way, after 17 hours on the road, having got up at 4 a.m.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

The only way to do a one day tour from Jerusalem involves flying from Ben Gurion Airport on the first flight which leaves around 5:30 a.m. and coming back on the last flight around 10 p.m. Add on the travel time to/from the airport and you are talking about an 19 hour day and not 14 because you need to be at the airport by 4:30 a.m. and it takes about 40 minutes to get there from most parts of Jerusalem and get back to Jerusalem after your 1 hour flight. It is doable if you have the stamina and the money (will cost about $500 for the day per person).

Some of the companies that offer such a tour including airfare are Thru-Us and Ahalan Olympus, both out of Eilat. Eco-Desert-Tours may also offer such packages.

Chana

Israel

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

Thanks for your comments! I definitely have the stamina to do all that traveling in a short amount of time. I just dont really have more than a day to do it all. But I would rather see Petra for only a few hours than not at all. I see lots of tours leaving from Eilat that would give me more time in Petra (I think). But is there a way I can get to Eilat very late from Jerusalem? Buses take 5 hours, but they dont leave late enough for me, and I cant manage the train website because I cant find it in English (if there is one). I would love to fly/ride into Eilat in the evening/night before and take a tour from Eilat in the morning and come back to Jerusalem very late, if this is possible. Costs are not tooooo much of a concern since the day trip to Petra is being paid by a family member as a birthday present (sweet!). Its just managing the time.

So, my main concerns are finding a tour to Petra that I can do in less than 1 1/2 days and through a good company.

Thanks again!

Chana - I will defintely look into those tour companies. Thanks!

Edited: 2:44 am, December 11, 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

Use Desert Eco Tours for your 1-day Petra excursion.

You'll need to fly to Eilat the evening before the excursion starts because you'll be picked up from your Eilat hotel very early in the morning.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

There is no train service to Eilat, so that is not an option.

If you have the energy you may want to consider the "red-eye" bus to Eilat. You can leave Tel Aviv at night, drive through the night and get to Eilat super early in the morning - hopefully in time to hook up with one of the day tours from Eilat. That would give you more time in Petra. You can take the "overnight" bus back from Eilat - you would be exhausted, but will have seen Petra.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

Oreets - Do you know of a website to find information about the overnight buses? I thought they didnt have night buses to Eilat (or maybe I was looking from Jerusalem only).

Dave - Thanks for your suggestion. I will look how late flights are to Eilat and if I can take a late one back to Tel Aviv that day. Why I like tours that include everything is that they guarantee/try really hard to make sure you make the flight back.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

check www.egged.co.il/eng

There is a bus from Tel Aviv at 11:59pm arrives in Eilat at 5:03 am.

There is a bus back that leaves Eilat at 1 am and arrives in Tel Aviv at 6 am

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,669 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

You don't say what day of the week you're planning on doing this. There is no overnight bus to Eilat (and the overnight buses are indeed only from Tel Aviv and not from Jerusalem) on Friday night (the night between Friday and Saturday).

If you do decide to go by bus, you should reserve a seat. It can be done by telephone or in person at any central bus station in Israel. The phone number is on the website. (Online reservations are in Hebrew only.) Reservations can be made starting one week before travel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day Petra tour from Jerusalem

Do yourself a favor and contact an operator who offers a package including flights, at the hours I pointed out and even on Saturday.

To check various airlines on your own see: Elal.co.il, arkia.co.il, israir.co.il Ask the airlines have regular flights to/from Eilat. I would not recommend the bus to/from Eilat for a one day tour. There is just so much one can endure in a 24 hour time span.

Chana

Israel