We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

Loveland, Colorado
14 posts
Save Topic
Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

My husband and I are taking our dream vacation, a Holy Land Cruise. We will be in Jerusalem for one day, December 7, 2012.

We will port in Ashdod. What do you suggest we do for our day in Jerusalem? We do not want to take a canned shore excursion with from the ship, too many people, too much wasted time. We like to walk, but we want to be safe. How can we find out about affordable tours and easy access to them? What do you suggest?

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,915 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

I'm sure you will enjoy your dream vacation, however, having only one day in Jerusalem will only allow you to get a taste of the city. Depending on what time your ship will dock, what time you sail in the evening, etc. you may not have more than 6-7 hours in Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is at least an hour plus away from the port. If you want to do this on your own, your best bet is to take the ship's shuttle to the port entrance and then take a taxi directly to the first place you want to see in Jerusalem. You need to allow yourself two hours travel time back to the ship so that if you get stuck in traffic (very common) you will not miss sailing time. You will again have to wait for and take a shuttle bus from the port entrance to the dock.

In terms of "affordable tours" Sandeman's has "free" tours of the Old City of Jerusalem that leave from the Jaffa Gate. This will give you a good overview/introduction and then you can decide what you would like to do for the remainder of your time in the city. As the guides do not get paid, it is considered a given that if you were satisfied you tip the guide - usually around 50 NIS per person.

To assist you more it would be helpful to know what your interests are, if there is a particular religious theme you are interested in, etc.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

You need several days to see just the highlights in Jerusalem. Since you have only one day you will only be able to skim the surface because traveling time for Ashdod-Jerusalem in each direction is about 2 hrs.

Here is the link to the free tour:

newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusa…

Another good option is to hire a private guide for a day, together with some other couples on the cruise to share the cost. You can search this forum for recommendations.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,989 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

A one day trip to Jerusalem from the port as Oreet suggests is doable but requires exact planning. While the Sandeman's tour is free there is one at 11 and one at 2, you will need to leave Jerusalem a minimum of 3 hours before your ships sailing (more would be better). Do not attempt to take public transportation to Jerusalem, as this will eat away at most of the day which would be ashamed.

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,219 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

December 7th is a Friday, no public transport after 1600 or so, but no heavy traffic to Ashdod from Jerusalem. The Jewish Quarter will shut down about 1400, the Kotel is open 24/7.

The Sandeman tour on Fridays is only at 1100 and you might not get there in time.

I suggest you reconsider joing the ship's tour or take a guide/driver for the day. You could see if there are others on your ship that might join such a trip and split the costs.

Edited: 5:58 am, November 28, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

>December 7th is a Friday, no public transport after 1600 or so

Since Shabbat starts (in Jerusalem) at 15:55 on December 7, public transport will stop running at about 14:30.

Here's another vote for taking the ship's tour. That way, apart from anything else, they will be responsible for getting you back to the ship in time.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,915 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

With such a short amount of time for your trip there are really only two logical options - either take the ship's tour - you will see the highlights, get lunch included and be sure to get back to the ship on time

Or have a private tour, including transportation - go to cruisecritic.com to the roll call section and see if there is anyone else on your cruise interested in the same thing.

Loveland, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

Thank you sooooooooo much! You all were able to give me necassary information to make a better plan than I could have made on my own. So many details I did not realize. I will do a ship tour if I can't find a group on my ship on cruise critic.

Cheerfully,

Jathena

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

If there is nothing on cruise critic--why not YOU be the organizer. To be financially viable you would need 6 people total.(maybe less, what are the cruise tours costing nowadays?)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

Do you have an additional stop in Israel (Haifa, for example)? If you do, why not stay overnight in Jerusalem, and use both days to see the city?

Loveland, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerusalem Dream trip in one day...what should I do?

Thank you for that wonderful suggestion, that is exactly what I decided to do. I am very excited to feel the wonder of the Holy City!