We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Leaving on a trip tomorrow for Israel. Is it still safe to travel?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
161. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

I would say that the stock market is a very good indicator of the public's outlook and prediction for the future. As you can see from this graph the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange has gone up this week !!

http://tinyurl.com/cm8f9fe

and the Shekel strengthened against most foreign currencies:

boi.org.il/en/…Default.aspx

This is certainly not what would happen if everyone was afraid that a war was just around the corner !

The consensus of the "experts" is the the Syrian army is having a lot of difficulty coping with the rebels so they will not want to open up another front against Israel.

Edited: 2:50 pm, May 07, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
162. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Come and enjoy. What goes on in the countries around us, rarely has any influence on Israel and if it does it's usually localized. I was on the Golan Heights today and felt nothing unusual and neither did those I was with.

As mentioned above, Israel is much safer than most western cities including those in the USA.

Chana

Israel

Michigan City...
1 post
Save Reply
163. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

We have a large group(50+) thinking of going to Israel in November 2013,, Is it safe?,, also is it safe for all of us to practice our religion Catholic,, I've heard mixed reviews about going to Jerusalem Now as they have Bumped up their Security,,, I'm not 1 for flying, so 11 hrs. better be worth the trip, LOL.. Thanks for any response :)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
164. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

There were 162 posts on this topic before yours ..... Did you read them????

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
165. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

There are thousands of people who travel safely to Israel every year. A huge percentage of them are catholic. When you get to Israel you will see for yourself that the rumours you have heard about Jerusalem are unfounded. I am a Christian and Jerusalem would now be my favourite city in the world - something I would not say if I felt unsafe there.

If you are in a big group of 50+ people then the local guide who assists your group in Israel will tell you if there are any customs you need to respect in advance (eg dressing modestly at places of worship).

Is it worth it? I went for a day and returned for a month. Two years later I returned for a second month. Now I am planning to return for 7 weeks! I don't fly a mere 11 hours to get to Israel - I fly over 24 hours to get there.

When you have been to Israel you will want to return. :). Have a great trip! :)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
166. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

FriskeeLizard,

Welcome.

I believe you will find Israel safer than some areas in your home state.

Enjoy your stay

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
167. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

I don't know which reviews you are reading about Jerusalem, but you need not worry. Jerusalem is a modern city, an ancient city, a holy city. It is home to Jews, Moslems and Christians. As a fairly small city, it is also a city where people walk and the street scene is alive and bustling in the old city and new. You walk freely between all different areas whether it is the Old City or New, or the different quarters within the Old City. Certain sites, such as access to the Western Wall, have a security gate you pass through. This is like an airport scanner and is the same as you would go though if visiting security sensitive sites in many countries. We have similar security gate when entering the Parliament buildings in the city where I live. It is fast and efficient and thousands go back and forth each day. Is it worth it for the plane trip? Absolutely, Jerusalem isn't just a place you visit, it is a place that touches your soul.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
168. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

<< is it safe for all of us to practice our religion >>

You must be reading about all of the OTHER countries in the Middle East, not Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
169. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

The operator arranging the trip will not take you anywhere that is potentially dangerous and therefore you will get to as much of the country that time permits. Israel is the only country in the middle eat where religions are welcome. There are many churches where you are free to pray. If you are coming on a pilgramage you will surely visit many of them.

Enjoy the planning and the visit!

Chana

Israel

Athens, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
170. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Some friends and I are considering a trip to the Holy Lands in February we are concerned with the current situation in Syria. Do you still consider it safe for Americans to travel into Israel?