We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in israel in december

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
weather in israel in december

we are going to Israel and then Jordan, starting on December 14th---here is my question:

Will I need a winter coat, or would something like a fall coat or raincoat be enough??

When I say winter coat, I am not referring to something for a blizzard!!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,342 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: weather in israel in december

What kind of footwear were you planning on wearing. It is NOT sandal weather in Israel in December. ( and I live in them as much as I can)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: weather in israel in december

no--not sandals

when i travel i usually wear flats

if it is really rigorous walking, i wear those slip-on Merrill shoes--but i dont think they are good for cold weather

maybe i will wear my ugg boots

they have rubber soles and will be good if it is too cool for flats

you are really nice to be so helpful

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,100 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: weather in israel in december

Ugg boots won't be any use in the rain. When it rains it can be very heavy, soaking you to the skin (unless you have good waterproofs) and leaving huge puddles everywhere.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: weather in israel in december

Ugg boots are not appropriate for touring at any time of the year in Israel.

The problem with flats are that they are not good in the rain, don't have enough of a grip and don't offer support when you are walking for hours on uneven stone surfaces.

Running shoes with a good grip (very important on slippery wet streets or just even on the stone streets which can be slippery when dry as well) would be appropriate.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: weather in israel in december

thank you for advice

i will have to re-evaluate my packing!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: weather in israel in december

thank you for advice

i am going shoe shopping soon!

what is wrong with ugg boots??

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,342 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: weather in israel in december

Ugg boots are not super water proof---even with the spray they sell you. Besides, they offer very little support and if you are on your feet all day, it is not good. What I wear on rainy days is a pair of sneakers. I wear Saucony--but any brand is good. Something that offers support AND a slighly thicker sole so you are not a cm. away from the water as you walk. Also, since the soles are usually some form of plastic/rubber--the water doesn't go through them. ( then bring them onto the plane to save room)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: weather in israel in december

You should bring shoes that have very good traction, like hiking shoes. When it rains, especially in Jerusalem, the stone pavements can be quite slippery.

Level Contributor
144 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: weather in israel in december

As to all the foregoing, yes, but...

Earlier this year (late Feb 2012) we spent a day in the snow in Jerusalem. We were all happy we had brought actual winter clothes/boots. No one was eating outside. And,on our prior trip in Dec 2011 it was extremely cold/wet when we were in Jerusalem. (I kept expecting snow, but there was none while I was there that time) Again, very happy to have rain gear and warm shoes good in wet weather.

So, watch the weather reports. It can be quite cold there in the winter, and if we're lucky (since Israel can always use the rain) wet, too.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: weather in israel in december

I also spent a day in the snow in Jerusalem in March a couple of years back. That was a bit of a surprise. It only lasted a few hours though. In December 2009 it was really mild and I didn't wear my jacket at all, just a cardigan or light fleece. I guess you could say that you can't really predict the weather in Jerusalem from year to year. It might be a mild winter or it might be cold. It might be really wet or it might have rain but in shorter periods of time.