We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared Bathroom?

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Shared Bathroom?

Hi folks!

I'm new to this forum but not new to travel. Still, I'm not exactly sure what "shared bathroom" means. I'm assuming it would typically be a sink and shower/tub en suite, with shared toilets down the hall? Similar to some hostels or a college dorm perhaps?

We leave for Israel in about a week, and it seems two of our three hotels have shared bathrooms - The Seasons in Netanya, and the Caesar Hotel in Tiberias.

I did search here first but didn't find a description. If it's out there and I missed it, my apologies.

Thanks in advance!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared Bathroom?

I live part of the year across the street from the Season's in Netanya. It used to be considered a 5 star hotel. I think it still considers itself to be 5 star. I wouldn't call it that now BUT it is still very nice and it does not have shared bathrooms! In fact, their rooms are larger than those of many hotels. Where did you read that it had shared bathrooms? Please share a link.

Here, btw is the hotels website:

http://www.seasons.co.il/

I am unfamiliar with the Caesar Hotel in Tiberias but looking at the home page of their webpage ( links won't work for me) it doesn't appear to be the type of place that doesn't have private baths.

Edited: 10:09 pm, November 01, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared Bathroom?

A shared bathroom in Israel, as well as in Europe, usually means that there is no ensuite at all and that bathrooms are shared by several rooms, including the shower and toilet. I have only come across this in hostels and guest houses in Israel and not in hotels.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Though I don't know for sure, but when I went to Israel, a 'shared bathroom' seemed to mean one shared by perhaps the whole floor, meaning you would have to leave your room altogether to go to it. I avoided those.

But rdglady is probably right at least about the one in Netanya. I just google'd the Caeser hotel in Tiberias and came up with the Caeser Premier which doesn't look like it would have shared bathrooms as well.

Just another quick note on Tiberias, I stayed at the Aviv hostel (but in a private room with private bath) very near to the Caeser and was very happy there as well.

happy trails.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shared Bathroom?

In Israel, generally speaking, only super-cheap dorm-style backpacker hostels have shared bathrooms. Other accommodations have en suite facilities.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Don't believe everything you read on third party websites, both hotels you listed have private baths in all of their rooms. I suggest booking from a different venue than your source of misinformation.

Chana

Israel

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Thanks everyone! We are traveling with a tour from our church so I have no control over lodging (probably why I've never traveled with tours before! *apologies to those who prefer tour travel*).

A fellow traveler sent me this link from hotels.com - http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?hotelId=343201&destinationId=700089&searchViewType=LIST&validate=true&previousDateful=true&destination=The+Seasons%2C+Netanya%2C+Israel&arrivalDate=11%2F13%2F12&departureDate=11%2F14%2F12&roomno=1&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&children[0]=0&asaReport=Hotel+Details%3A%3ANoSuggest&searchParams.landmark=&queryFormState=CLOSED&searchParams.needPossibleResults=true&activeTab=DESTINATION&page=1 - which listed shared bathrooms in the room details.

Shame on me for not going to the hotel's website to find out for myself! I'll do that on each hotel this weekend.

Thanks everyone for reassuring me and setting me straight!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Holy S***. I am flabbergasted. I had no reason to doubt you but I couldn't imagine it actually being in print. I was sure you had read something wrong. The Seasons is going to be wild about this ( I will send them an email) Waht a bunch of idiots hotel.com is. You, on the other hand, who have never been to Israel would have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the site.

I'm curious--when are you going?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Shame on hotels.com. I use them all the time and just assumed their info is accurate.

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shared Bathroom?

I don't typically use hotels.com so this is quite a lesson for me! I'll be sure to pass this along to my friend who sent me the link.

Rdglady - We arrive on the 13th. Not long now!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shared Bathroom?

Mischless--please have a great trip and come back and tell us how it went. A number of groups seem to be using the Seasons nowadays. I met some of the people, just walking in the street when they randomly stopped me to ask a question.