We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones/Phone Cards

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell Phones/Phone Cards

Looks like my US based cell phone carrier (AT&T) will charge approx $1/minute for me to use the phone while I am in Israel. Too pricey! How do tourists make phone calls? These would be local calls (Israel to Israel) mostly, but perhaps a few 5 minute calls back home to San Francisco.

Thanks

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

We rented a cell phone from Amigo and use that for our telephone calls in Israel. The price was right and the pick-up and drop-off place was convenient for us.

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

If you have AT&T your phone may use a SIM card and be "unlockable."

Talk to your carrier and find out. If so, you can rent a SIM card from Amigo or other provider, or buy a pre-paid one.

However, I did not don't know how to set up a new SIM card so I chose to rent a phone.

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

what does it cost to rent a phone?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

Although there are many threads on this topic, and there are more than one company with this service available, this previous thread has some good analysis and final cost info for one person who went the cell phone rental route:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k411…

Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

We just returned from 20 days in Israel. We rented a phone from Amigo (amigo.com) and was very pleased. No convenient pick-up/drop off for us so we had it mailed. It arrived a few days before our departure and went back in the mail to return today.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

Also check out talknsave. I have friends who use them yearly--and are always happy.

7. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:27 am, November 03, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

I am very perplexed by Alan's post. I made a reply to it and my reply ended up appearing BEFORE his post instead of after it. So I deleted it.

When I looked at the time on his post, in my Aussie version of the forum it appears as 17:50 ..... But it is only 17:32 as I write this.

So I am going to reply pointing this out because something is distinctly wrong about this and since the time of his post hasn't yet come I think it is possible that this might appear before his post also.

My response that I deleted was...

I am fascinated that you have brought up a thread that is over a year old just to say that.

On checking your profile I see that you have posted Ina few places -- but in all of them it is only to recommend a phone card. That leads me to believe you are simply advertising.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

I was right - my post appears before the one I was responding to yet again. Perhaps the Destination Experts can explain what is going in with this posting appearing in the wrong order?

10. Re: Cell Phones/Phone Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:55 am, January 12, 2014