We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archeological Dig?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Archeological Dig?

I am a 54 year old male who will be visiting Israel October 15 through October 25. First 4 days in Tel Aviv and the last five in Jeruselum. I'd like to volunteer on an outside dig. Obviously I don't expect for the Israeli Antiquities Society to put a shovel in my hand and work a sensitive site alone. However, I would find it very interesting to work a site for day with other professionals and assist . It's obviously an educational experience for me, and perhaps for them, another body to help. Does anyone have contact information for me or know to whom I can reach out. Thanks!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archeological Dig?

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k406…

and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k558…

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Archeological Dig?

Sounds like the Temple Mount Sifting Project is quite easy and accessible , but also sounds like it's something best suited for little kids. It doesn't seem to require much physical exertion or energy ! Dig for a day in Beit Guvrin sounds a litlte more of what i was looking for: includes caves, a bit of digging and a chance to get out into one of your national parks. Am I right that Dig for a day might offer more to me?

Also, approximately how far/ how long to Beit Guvrin? Do i rent a car and go there? Or do they pick you up in Jeruselum and bring you back?

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archeological Dig?

You have to get there, a rented car is the way to go. You should tour the park too, it is quite big and you use your car for it. October is suiable for it, mild weather.

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Archeological Dig?

Are reservations required for participating in "Dig for a Day" at Beit Guvrin? I would prefer just to show up on a day of my choosing.

I checked it's website, and seems about a 45 minute drive from Jeruselum. Am I right on this?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Archeological Dig?

Reservations are indeed required for "Dig for a Day." You need to contact them in advance to even determine if they'll be offering the activity on the day you wish. They require a minimum number of participants in order to operate.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Archeological Dig?

Dig for a Day is your best bet. The "dig" season is over for all the active archaeological digs - the season is usually only in the summer as it is coordinated with the universities who run the various archaeological expeditions.

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Archeological Dig?

Thanks. Which universities run the archaeological expeditions? Perhaps I can reach out to one or two to see if they have an outdoor activity going on, or perhaps there is an indoor activity/exhibition/seminar that would be of interest to me.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Archeological Dig?

Many of the universities that run the digs are not Israeli - so they come for the dig season and then return to wherever to continue their research until the next summer.

As far as Israeli universities you can contact the archaeology departments of Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv Univ. in Tel Aviv and Bar Ilan Univ in Ramat Gan. You can also try contacting the Israel Antiquities Authority which is the govt department that oversees all digs.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Archeological Dig?

You can try contacting the City of David which digs year round and may or may not be open for volunteers.

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Archeological Dig?

Ir David - City of David is a good idea. This is their website. Contact them in advance http://www.cityofdavid.org.il/en

It might work.