We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

Next summer my family would like to visit Jerusalem for a second time. We were there in 2008-2009 and have wanted to visit again. This time we have a new baby and we would like for her to be baptized there. We have a wonderful Jewish friend in Jerusalem that has helped us contact a local church and pastor inside the Old City, but I would love to hear from some individuals who have experience with a protestant baptism in the Old City. Here are my interests/concerns:

(1)We don't want a "plain-jane" ceremony that we could have anywhere. It should be particularly special considering the location.

(2)I would love to have it at the Western Wall, but I don't know the logistics of this, if that's allowed, or if there are permits, etc. required.

(3)I'm extremely thankful for the communication with the church, but communication has been so slow that planning has been difficult.

(4)Any other thoughts or knowledge on the subject is welcome!

Please share what you know. I could use some help planning this special event for my family.

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

I am not intending to be rude but I can't tell you how inappropriate it is to even suggest a baptism at the Western Wall. This is a synagogue.

As your friend has suggested, you should work with a Protestant Church to make baptism arrangements. You could also consider a baptism at the Jordan River.

See this site http://www.yardenit.com/

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

I am so glad Anette responded before me. It is totally impossible and inappropriate to have a baptism by the wall. Many, and you are part of that group forget what the wall actually is. It is a synagogue, albeit an open air one and all expressions of religions that are not Jewish really do not belong there.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

I certainly did not intend to offend anyone, and I appreciate your comments and insights. We have many Jewish friends, and have visited the Western Wall ourselves many times, so we would never want to appear inappropriate in our actions. Sometimes it is difficult to understand other viewpoints until questions are asked...I will pursue other avenues, but would still appreciate any advice regarding a baptism in Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

See if these folks can help you,

http://www.cicts.org/

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

If I had to pick a spot in Jerusalem for Christian baptism, it would be the southern temple step area (AKA, the Ophel or the Jerusalem Archaeological Park).

I think (as do many others) that this was the most likely spot for Peter’s speech on Pentecost, and thus, the place where the Christian church was born and 3000 people were baptized – probably in the plentiful mikveh that were right there.

What better a spot?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

I would suggest you look into the possibility of arranging for the baptism at Qar El Yahud - on the Jordan River, which many believe to be the site where Jesus was baptized.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

I would suggest you look into the possibility of arranging for the baptism at Qar El Yahud - on the Jordan River.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry, but I would suggest just the opposite. The water quality on the lower Jordan river is so bad a would never suggest someone pour that water on an infant.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

Good point Dogmeat - shame on me - I should have thought of that.

While the Christian Information Center is a great resource it may not be the best for you as it run by the Franciscans. There are good number of Protestant churches in Jerusalem. You can find their contact info at the Christian Info Center - I would then suggest you contact them directly.

I'm not sure that the Davidson Center is the best choice but a Protestant church would be ideal.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

Two Protestant resources:

• The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in the Old City.

• St. Andrew's Scottish Church near the Old City, part of the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian in the US).

I think Jerusalem is a better fit than a shlep to the Jordan River, personally, and I agree that I would never use river water on a baby (or an adult, for that matter, but that's me).

Good luck to you!

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need information for a Protestant Christian infant baptism

Of course, I don't know which church you have contacted, but I would suggest talking with Rev. David Pileggi at Christ Church - cmj-israel.org/CMJMinistries/…Overview.aspx - about doing it there. It is the oldest Protestant church in the Middle East and is located near Jaffa Gate inside the Old City. His contact details are:

Christ Church

PO Box 14037

91140 Jerusalem, Israel

Phone: 972 (0)2 627-7727

Fax: 972 (0)2 628-2999

E-mail: churchsecretary@cmj-israel.org - mark it ATTN: Rev. David Pileggi

Hope that helps.

suzanne pomeranz

jerusalem, israel