We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing Restaurants

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing Restaurants

I will be in Israel in less than three weeks!!! Thanks to all of you, I feel I have done just about everything that I need to do in advance. I just need to arrange for scooter rental now once I figure out the best way to call Israel, since they are not responding to emails.

I have not selected any restaurants yet. There certainly are enough suggestions and opinions. In fact, I find that there are so many, that it is really difficult for me to decide. I realize different people have different tastes.

I do not need to have every restaurant picked out in advance. However, I am thinking about making a list of restaurants that sound good near places we will be visiting. I would like one or two really special restaurants, several good restaurants that will not require us to take out a loan, and a few holes in the wall that I would never go to if they had not been recommended. Of course, I want to try the best falafel and hummus in the country but understand that there is no general agreement on what is best.

I do need a restaurant close to our hotel in Tel Aviv, since we will be arriving close to dinner time and I do not want to have to start hunting for something as soon as we get there. We are staying at The Savoy. I would like something close by where we will comfortable going after a long flight; nothing fancy. It does not need to be kosher. We will be arriving on Saturday night. Please let me know if I should make a reservation.

Other places we will be are Dan Panorama in Haifa, where I think I would like to eat somewhere in Germantown; Acco; Pastoral Hotel Kfar Blum, where I am thinking of having most evening meals right there to avoid driving at night; Crowne Plaza at the Dead Sea; and finally Jerusalem. We will be staying at the Harmony Hotel in Jerusalem. I would like a few good casual restaurants that are close by and also restaurants in other parts of Jerusalem that we should not miss.

We are not going to Israel to eat, but feel we are better off with several recommendations than just picking places blindly. Thanks again for all your help.

Edited: 8:24 am, September 20, 2012
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,371 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing Restaurants

Here are restaurant reports from Ziggy, a food maven who was recently in Israel and who requested recommendations from the regulars on this forum:

http://eatingwithziggy.com/category/israel/

Haifa
Level Contributor
284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing Restaurants

There is no problem in driving around Kfar-Blum at night - it is on the plain and the roads are perfectly adequate. There's a nearby place called Gan haTsafon - a small commercial center with several restaurants - I ate in several of them and all were good. Foccaccia was the best.

Edited: 11:48 am, September 20, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing Restaurants

Near the Savoy Hotel:

- Manta Ray.

- Cafe Metzada (on Ha-Yarkon).

Near the Dan Panorama Haifa:

-Tokai/Sea Waves

In the German Colony, lots of choices, but I love Douzan.

Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing Restaurants

One of our favorite restaurants in Jerusalem is The Ticho House located near the Harmony Hotel at 9 Ha Rav Kook Street. It is a fish and dairy restaurant and everything is really fresh and tasty. Their Israeli salad sampler was especially good and was almost sufficient for a complete meal. http://www.go-out.com/ticho/

We also really love Te'Enim, a vegetarian place with delicious food and a spectacular view of the Old City. We always try to call for a reservation a week before and ask for a table in the alcove that has the best view.

It is probably about a 10 minute walk from the Harmony but is well worth it.

http://teenim.rest-e.co.il.

We are also staying at the Savoy in a few weeks for one night following our arrival, but plan to get a taxi to Haj Kahil in Jaffa. It sounds sooo good! http://hajkahil.rest-e.co.il

When we stayed at Kfar Blum we loved Day El Ha Dan, which is frequently mentioned on this forum. http://www.dagaldan.co.il/?p=english

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing Restaurants

Thank you for all your replies. I will look into these.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing Restaurants

And for calling Israel....I don't think you can beat onesuite.com and their great prices.

Kathy

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing Restaurants

From Kfar Blum it is a 3 minute drive to the Goma Junction. There are a couple of good restaurants there. Don't be fooled by 'gas station' restaurants, in Israel, they can be terrific.

Also in the north, about a 10 minute drive from Kfar Blum is Dag alHaDan. If you love fresh fish, this is a special place to eat.

In Jerusalem, a three minute walk from the Harmony, is Tmol Shilshom, a bookstore/restaurant/poetry reading place. Lovely. From your hotel go across the pedestrian street, down the alley past the entrance to Zuni's and at the courtyard turn left. Go to the back of the courtyard and up the few stone stairs and there you are. Food is great, atmosphere- amazing.

I also recommend Ticho House especially if you can sit in the garden.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing Restaurants

I agree Ticho House is lovely. Don't forget nearby there are a number of restaurants at the Mamila Mall. Go upstairs to the Spaghettis--and avoid crowds downstairs. Also Cafe Cafe --downstairs. Right near the Harmony--a 2 minute walk is Luigi. They are reviewed on TA. --ignore the first negative review. I think they reviewed the wrong place. They speak of broken kids play equipment--restaurant has no play equipment ( broken or not)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing Restaurants

I add my endorsement of the restaurant at Bet Ticho (Ticho House) -- a charming place with terrific food with charm and character to spare!

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing Restaurants

Other options in Tel Aviv are 1. Suzzana is a very nice, not expensive restaurant in Neve Zedek (Shabazi street), see reviews on TripAdvisor. 2. There are a few restaurants in the Ha-Tachana, one is also a nice tapas bar in the evenings (Viki-Christina). Its walking distance from where you stay.