We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Hi everyone, I'm traveling to Tel Aviv on Thursday evening and will be there until Sunday night. I only have one day to see Jerusalem & the Dead Sea and I am hoping someone might be able to suggest the best way of doing that.

I'm travelling with some friends and we're happy to chip in to hire a driver for the day etc to get us there.

Can someone please suggest the best way of maximising our experience and some places to start with sourcing drivers etc.

Thanks very much.

Dylan

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Which day will you have? The problem with doing the Dead Sea and Jerusalem on one day is that you will not really have time to do Jerusalem justice. You also did not mention when you are traveling, which makes a difference regarding sunset.

The best way is to hire a guide/driver who will be able to use you time most efficiently. This will not be inexpensive, but with only one day, it is the best option. If you are coming after we change the clocks in 2 weeks then you are best off with only visiting Jerusalem.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,364 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

You cannot "see" Jerusalem and the Dead Sea in one day any more than you can "see" London and Oxford in one day. I suggest dropping the Dead Sea from your itinerary and spending the entire day in Jerusalem. You can order a regular taxi to take you from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem as early as possible. Hire a guide or take the Sandemans tour for a half-day in the Old City. Go to the Israel Museum or Yad Vashem in the afternoon. You won't be able to do much more than that. Sorry.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Hi Chana,

Thank you for your quick reply! I arrive in Tel Aviv this Thursday (very excited) and will stay until Sunday night.

We plan on setting off early on Saturday morning (15 September) and would like to be back in Tel Aviv around 9pm at the latest.

Do you have any suggestions of tour-drivers?

Many thanks,

Dylan

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Try Ronen Lev. He can be reached at: +972-52-545-4664 menash79@gmail.com. Discuss with him what would be best, if to incorporate both the Dead Sea and Jerusalem or only Jerusalem. I would be ashamed to spend 5 hours on the road when you could be touring during 4 of them.

Chana

Israel

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Dylan, are you committed to staying in Tel Aviv?

If you changed that to Jerusalem you would have 2.5 days in which case you could see some of the sights in Jerusalem and go to the dead sea.

With such a short time I think Jerusalem is much more interesting than Tel Aviv

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

It's doable

7:00 am leave Tel Aviv

Tour Jerusalem 8:00 am till noon

Jerusalem - Qumran 1:00 pm

Ein Gedi - 2:30

Masada - 3:45 till closing time

Some splashing in the Dead Sea

Leave by 7:00 pm should get you back to Tel-Aviv by 9:00 pm (either back via Jerusalem or via Arad - add another 15-20 minutes if you chose the latter route)

The question is if it is advisable - out of the 14 hours, you would be on the road for about four to four and a half hours. But some of the Dead Sea scenery is really out of this world!!! (Even seen from a car)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

I do not think the above schedule is feasible. IN a perfect world with no traffic you will reach Jerusalem from Tel Aviv in 1 hour--but that is the bus station. It then takes time to get to where you would want to tour. A 4 hour "tour" of Jerusalem is just a quick survey. The travel times and visiting times of Jerusalem to Masada are barely enough to say, "I was there" It can take 2 hours to drive from Jerusalem to Masada--and that is further than Qumran and Ein Gedi. The above plan allows 3 hours and 45 minutes to get to three places and visit two of them. BTW the official site for Masada suggests that it takes 3 hours to visit and the park closes at 5PM.The last entry is 4PM. Arriving at 3:45 is not reasonable.

You are correct, the scenery IS beautiful--but most want to stop and enjoy for a moment, not do a drive by!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,404 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

This is not doable, even in a "perfect world" - you are basing this on public tranportation.

You have almost no time for Jerusalem, a city that needs days and days to see, but even a quick overview takes at least a full day.

There is no way a bus gets from Jerusalem to Qumran in one hour - unless it sprouts wings.

This suggestion does not take into consideration getting from the bus station to anywhere, getting back to the bus station, when buses run, etc.

When will you be here - in less than two week we will be on winter time - Masada closes at 4 pm and the last entrance is 3 pm - that barely gives you time to ride the cable car up and down, look at the gate house and leave.

I know you want to see and do it all - you can't - stay in Jerusalem and make the most of the short time you have.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Oreet, it's not by public transport. OP is talking about hiring a car/driver. But even with a car it's ridiculous.

I'm not sure how Qumran got into this thread. In actual fact it takes only 45 minutes by Egged bus from Jerusalem to Qumran (to give you an idea of driving time). But it's still an absurd itinerary for one day.

And which weekend are we talking about here? If it's this coming one - the eve of Rosh Hashana, Masada will close at 4. To give yourself enough (!!) time to see anything there you would need to arrive by 3 at the latest - and an hour is not enough (!!).

Factor in driving times between all these places - as well as wanting to see Jerusalem - and you'll realise it's just not feasible.

Edited to add that if it is this coming weekend, there will be VERY heavy holiday traffic.

Edited: 1:26 pm, September 11, 2012
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have one day to explore Jerusalem & the Dead Sea

Spend the day in Jerusalem and enjoy the city - if you have a driver, you could go to an overview and see the desert area just outside the city.