We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

My spouse and I will arrive by cruise ship in Ashdod Oct 5 and plan to travel to Jesusalem independently, stay overnight, and return the next evening [Oct 6]to reboard the ship in Haifa. Can anyone update us on the cost of taxis or other transportation between these cities?

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Taxi to Jerusalem is about 285 shekels and from Jerusalem to Haifa about 520 shekels. Note that the official rates to/from the ports are a bit different than the official rates for similar transportation to/from the center of town (Ashdod or Haifa).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Oct. 5 is a Friday - you will be able to take a taxi from the port gates to Jerusalem - cost will be about 310 NIS. There will be a shuttle bus from the dock to the port gate.

You can also take the shuttle to the Central Bus Station in Ashdod and from there take an Egged bus to Jerusalem.

Keep in mind that many places will close early on Friday in preparation for the Sabbath. You will also be here during the holiday of Sukkot - a time where there is a lot of demand for hotel rooms, places are crowded, prices are high and many hotels will require a minimum stay of 2 or 3 nights. Do you already have reservations in place for that night? If not, that has to be your first priority in order to make sure that your plan will work.

There is no public transportation on Saturday so you will have fewer options to get to Haifa. You can take a shared taxi - called sherut from downtown Jerusalem to Tel Aviv and from there another one to Haifa - I don't know if there is one that goes directly from Jerusalem to Haifa. Your only other option is a taxi which will cost approximately 920 NIS between the two cities.

What time are you set to sail on Oct. 6? You need to make sure to allow plenty of time for the drive so you get there in time.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,034 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

>> I don't know if there is one that goes directly from Jerusalem to Haifa

No, there is no sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa (on any day of the week). The only sherut route serving Jerusalem that's of any interest to tourists is the one to Tel Aviv.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Oops just realized my typo for the taxi to/from Haifa, should have read 920 and not what I wrote. You might want to check with Cruise Critic to see if there are others who have a similar plan, in order to cut costs of transportation.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Thanks for your helpful replies.

The ship departs Haifa at 11PM. How much time should we allow if we take a taxi direct from Jerusalem to the port? Also, I notice estimates for a taxi seem to vary considerably between your two estimates. Is there a set price or metered price?

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

There is a set price which will most likely be less than the metered price. Since you are looking to travel on Shabbat the price is automatically higher. Note that I inadvertently typed 520 instead of 920 (problem with my number cognition). You need to be back at the port by 9;30 so you can be on the ship one hour before sailing so you should leave Jerusalem no later than 7:00. Since it's Saturday you should not run into traffic in the direction of Haifa but need to take a bit of extra time just in case (it's a 2 hour drive between the cities without traffic).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

The price quoted - 920 NIS is the official price set for all taxis. No taxi can charge you more - a driver can, if he chooses, charge you less.

Since you have until 9:30 pm to get to the port you can also consider taking a bus from Jerusalem to Haifa and then a taxi from the bus station to the port. This will be considerably less money, however, be prepared for the bus to be crowded. You will be able to check exact schedules at www.egged.co.il/eng - but only one week in advance.

Edited: 12:49 pm, August 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Walnut Creek...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Hi - do you know what taxi company is allowed entrance to the port of Ashdod?

I can't find it online :( My husband and I are going to take a tour that leaves from Haifa, stay in Jerusalem, and take another that returns to Ashdod, so we need to get a taxi from Ashdod to Haifa that evening...

Sabrina

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

If you are coming from Jerusalem it will be less expensive to take any taxi from there to the port in Ashdod. You can then take the shuttle into the port when you arrive at its entrance. Hiring the company (which changes from time to time) will cost you the driving to Jerusalem as well as to the port.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport Ashdod port to Jerusalem to Haifa port

Are you asking about how to get from Ashdod to Haifa - it's not really clear - and another good reason to start your own thread so that the subject line is clear.

If that is your question, depending on timing (when do you need to be back in Haifa) - there are two optinsfor you to consider.

First - have your tour drop you at the Jerusalem Central Bus Station, before you leave the city - then either take a bus directly to Haifa or take an express bus to Tel Aviv - the 480 to the Arlozorov Terminal which is right outside the Savidor Central train station - then take the train to Haifa.

Or - take the train from Ashdod to Haifa.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
The Jerusalem Hostel
The Jerusalem Hostel
399 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel