We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Jerusalem, Israel
6 posts
Save Topic
Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Hello,

Does anyone know of any self-service/coin operated laundromats near the Old City of Jerusalem? I'm not looking for the ones where they do the laundry for you, but where I do it myself. Thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Google (“jerusalem laundromats”) threw this up:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/guide_13.htm

Note the site is six years old, so the specific establishments may or may not still be there.

But the most relevant comment on the site is “I've never seen a laundromat in a neighborhood that didn't have a high temporary resident population.” That is definitely true. The Old City isn’t an area that’s full of students and newcomers sharing apartments and needing self-service laundries, so it’s unlikely you’d find anything nearby.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,966 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

While I know of a few laundromats in Jerusalem, I have not seen one which is self-service.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

There is a self service laundromat on Jaffa Road - don't have the exact address but it is about halfway between the Machane Yehuda market and the Central Bus Station - but this is definitely not near the Old City.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Oreet, I'll look out for that laundromat tomorrow when I'm in the area. Which side of Jaffa Road is it on? (I can't recall seeing one, but it's not something I've ever needed to look for...)

Dejeni, watch this space for details!

Rdglady: I know there was (maybe still is) a self-service laundromat on Emek Refaim, but that's an area where there's a lot of demand, unlike the Old City. Jaffa Road would be a lot more convenient anyway.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

It is located near the entrance to the shuk around 100 Jaffa/Yafo Street.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

If there is one near the entrance to the shuk, then that is not the one I am thinking of - the one I remember is approx. across the street from the old Shaarei Tzedek.

I'll try to get an exact address next week, if you don't find it by then.

Jerusalem, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Thanks everyone! I'll try and check Jaffa Rd. tomorrow and see if I can find both of them.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

I'm not surprised there are laundromats in that area. Nahlaot is a neighbourhood with a large number of young flat-sharers.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be in the area, and if nobody has posted precise details before I do, I'll fill you in.

Jerusalem, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Fantastic. Thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Self-service/coin-operated laundry facilities Jerusalem

Found it (or one of them, anyway)!!

It's called Rotem Laundry but doesn't have a sign in English. It's at 202 Jaffa Road, telephone 5000598. This is the one that Oreet mentioned in #6.

The closest light rail station is Haturim. It's about half a minute's walk from the station, going back towards the city centre on the left-hand side, and before the corner of Gesher Hahaim Street. It's immediately adjacent to a small shop selling snacks, bags of crisps etc.

Hours are Sunday-Thursday 6 a.m. to midnight, Friday 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 9 p.m. to midnight. Note that if it's relevant, this coming Sunday, May 27, is the holiday of Shavuot which is in effect another Shabbat, so it won't open until 9 p.m. on that day.

I didn't see a laundromat at the entrance to the shuk.

Happy laundry!