We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female Traveller

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Female Traveller

Hello, I've been reading the threads here and they are all saying that it's safe for a single lady to travel alone in Jerusalem.

Well, I just need some further reassurance to that. I'm a small, Asian short (156cm) girl who is planning a trip this end of July. Will that attract trouble? Just asking. Lol.

Already planning trips to Akko, dead sea, Golan Heights, Bethehem and most probably Petra. All alone with day tours.

And is transportation easily accessible there?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Solo Female Traveller

I, have multiple times, during daylight hours walked through the Arab section alone, I do not wonder off the tourist paths. While I have no desire to see "men peeing on the sidewalk" I think I can handle it without being emotional scarred.

What happens in Jericho I can't comment on as I have never been or wanted to go.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Personally speaking, and I just came back from Israel 2 days ago, I am a senior female who traveled alone, I think Jerusalem is the safest city in the world, safer than some cities in the U.S. to tell you the truth. There are soldiers everywhere, police too. The Quarters in the Old City are practically littered with surveillance cameras. Yes, I did get "chatted-up" when walking through the Arab Quarter, asked if I wanted to have coffee or tea with them, you just politely say no and mean it. AND SO SO EASY to hook up with fellow travelers, just talk and they will respond, I've never met a rude co-traveler, some are nice enough to even walk with you. I've made so many friends during this journey it is truly unbelieveable. We have each other's emails and will be friends for long. And what they say is true, use common sense. You will love this journey, I know I did. I love this country now more than ever.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Thanks everyone for the great advices! Instead of worrying, I'm looking forward to my trip now! :)

Luzon, Philippines
9 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Hello,

I know this thread was a year ago. But I'm gonna take my chance and hope you could answer a few questions.

Need your advice.

Being single female Asian myself, I will be traveling to Jerusalem on the 26th to join the marathon. Anyway, before and after the marathon, I will be wandering around by myself. Is it safe to walk around at night? How much cash did you bring? Or did you pay mostly with a credit card? Did you take the public transportation? How was it? Apart from the greetings you got from the local males, did you have any "unpleasant" encounters?

Thank you in advance!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Solo Female Traveller

It's perfectly safe to walk around at night. The Old City can be rather creepy after dark when everything is closed, but it's not dangerous. Most places where you, as a tourist, are likely to be will be full of people even quite late at night.

While many places take credit cards, some small shops and market stalls don't, and neither do taxis, with a very few exceptions. Public transport is good and inexpensive. You can ride for 90 minutes unlimited on any combination of city buses and the light rail (tram). If you start your journey on a bus you need to pay cash to the driver, 6.60 shekels (he can give you change). If you start on a tram you must buy your ticket in the machine on the station (instructions are in English), and you can pay using cash or credit card. You must validate your ticket as soon as you enter the tram, so it is date and time stamped, so if an inspector gets on he can see you are within the 90 minutes - keep your ticket until you've finished your 90 minutes.

Vitabella, the other posts are several months old and it's likely that the people who posted them are not following this thread. You can send them a private message by clicking on the name under the photo, and then "send message". The person will be alerted by e-mail that there is a message for her.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Solo Female Traveller

If you are looking for answers from the original poster, I suggest you send her a private message - PM - she'll get an email notification that there is a message for her.

To answer your questions - it is safe to walk around alone at night.

Public transportation is great, inexpensive and safe - just keep in mind that it does not run from late Friday afternoon until Saturday night.

I can't promise that you won't get an occasional "off" remark, just as you would anywhere else in the world - but it is safe here and you just need to use basic common sense.

Luzon, Philippines
9 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Thank you very much!

Your response is much appreciated.

I'm not really concerned about hollers and what nots...more of physical safety. Like incidents related to crime/mugging?

Generally, I'm positive about this trip but just need reassurance.

Thank you!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Random street crime and mugging are almost unknown here. However, you do need to use your common sense and not leave valuables where they can "go for a walk". But Jerusalem is far from being pickpocket central.

Luzon, Philippines
9 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Glad to know that!

Phew.

I can't wait to see your beautiful city!

Thank you very much for all your kind and helpful responses!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Solo Female Traveller

Hey! I had fun back in Jerusalem. I miss Jerusalem ALOT. It was very very safe indeed. I did alot of walking. My hostel was a short distance to Mamila Mall. I was there every night. It's filled with people at night so not to worry.

Cash? I think I spent about 500USD (withdrawing from the ATMs) there. I used cards where places could accept, like malls and restaurants.

I took the bus to and fro from Israel Museum. Bus drivers couldn't get my English much. Kinda risky I felt. The train was very very convenient but with only 2 stations to get your tickets at a stop. Both were down at a stop and I have to walk to the other station to purchase tickets. Conductors often did checks. Honestly, the tram lines were a great help when you feel lost.

You will be fine! Nothing happened or looked like something was about to happen while I was there. :)

I didnt wear conservative except at religious sites like the western wall. Was in shorts and short sleeves everyday.

Nights can be quite cold though. And I went in summer?

Travelled on express bus from Jerusalem to eilat and back alone. Tickets in Hebrew only was abit tricky. But the young lady at the station helped.

While on the 4hr bus alone, felt guy beside pulled my dress abit down before he got down the bus. He was lol mistaken! He thought I was exposing my undies but it was only my shorts (I often wear a short dress with shorts) but he was young and didn't went "angry" that I was not that conservative. (I'm trying to say he was maybe trying to be nice and not cheeky. So not dangerous.)

Do planning and you will be fine. Was wearing my earphones but not turning the music too loud so I could be alert and ignore those calls from strangers with an excuse from the 2nd night onwards. It really helped!

And and.. I think a guy who called out at me on my 2nd night was trying to warn me because I (an obvious Chinese) was blindly walking into the Old City. Yeah I was lost that time. But I figured out my way and he left me alone.

I had a great time! You will too. Hope all these lol extra info and reminisces helped.