We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

We shall be hiring a large car in October 2012 and driving from Ein Gedi to Tiberias to spend a couple of days and explore the area. We will have 3 children with us under 8.

My questions are: which is a safe route to drive to Tiberias from Ein Gedi? This is my main question. Also, how long does that drive take?

Are there any sights that are a MUST along the way?

Once in Tiberias what are the Must sights to see in that area?

Also the drive from Tiberias - which is a safe route to drive a big car, and how long would it take to get to TEL AVIV.

YOUR REPLY WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

Just to clarify, where are you renting the car from? Will you be exploring Ein Gedi, Qumran, Masada, and the Dead Sea prior to setting off for Tiberias?

Dr. Z

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

We'll be hiring the car in Jerusalem then exploring Ein Gedi etc for a day or so before going to Tiberias. i am worried about driving in areas i am not sure are safe and would welcome advice. thanks Shulamit 898

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

Hopefully you are not planning to have the car during the duration of your Jerusalem stay. It's not needed there.

Renting (hiring) a car to explore the Dead Sea area is advisable as compared to a tour group, bus, or taxi. One has quite a bit more flexibility to explore.

Ein Gedi will only take an hour or two. Your best bet is to get an early start and see Masada first, especially if the weather is still hot. After Masada, go to Ein Gedi and explore the area including a stop to take a dip in the Dead Sea. You can also get lunch there.

Afterwards, start driving North on Hwy 90, thru the West Bank, until Tiberias. It's a safe drive but you do not want to do it at night. Make sure your car is filled up prior to entering the West Bank. If you need more fuel (petrol) there is a station at the junction of Hwy 1 & 90 (along with a pretty good falafel stand and some photo-camels)

The ride to Tiberias shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

Dr. Z

High Point, North...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

All this talk about driving on Hwy 90 from Ein Gedi to Tiberius. How many people have done this recently? It almost sounds like a suicide mission to me, especially with a small child on board. What happens if your rental car breaks down? Will the rental agency even send a technician if you are stranded on this road?

Are PA Arab drivers allowed to drive on Hwy 90? If you are stranded with your family, how long will it take before someone decides to kidnap your family or shoot to kill?

These are honest concerns of mine. Horrible things happened to Israeli drivers on “West Bank” roads. A father and child were killed not so long ago by someone hurling a huge boulder into the windshield. Unless Highway 90 is completely off limits to PA Arabs, I just don’t see why everyone on this forum says it’s completely safe to drive on this road, and that this road is “as safe as any Israeli road”.

I am contemplating a drive on Highway 90, but I would have to ask a hundred people in Israel and get one hundred responses that it’s 100% safe before I would venture on such a trip with my family. Now, if I was single and had an M-16 in my car, I would probably feel differently about such a drive.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

Wow. You sure are a positive and optimistic person!

Nobody here has ever negated or denied any sort of hostility that has ever occurred on that stretch of road. Yes, those things have happened.

I tend to calculate my risk or level of safety this way: Israeli drivers, in general, are pretty agressive and are known for having some pretty horrible crashes. An acquaintance of mine was recently killed in Tel Aviv by a stupid motorcycle driver and I have seen first hand some pretty bad wrecks. There is some inherent danger in driving ANY Israeli road...just as there is some inherent danger in driving ANY road in North America yet I use the roads in both countries without hesitation.

Highway 90 does not have any more incidents or accidents than any other road. You are probably going to see a wreck or 2 on Hwy 1 up towards Jerusalem than anywhere else!

Highway 90 is safe. You do not need an M16 or any other sort of nonsense. If you still do not feel 100% comfortable, there are alternative routes one can take.

Have fun.

Dr. Z

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

With respect, I wish you wouldn't brush off people who worry about safety, we are not talking about traffic accidents that can happen anywhere, that is an orange and we are talking about an apple. What Sirozha wants to know is: when we are warned not to travel a road at night, and are warned not to turn off into an arab area, could you not tell us why the road is safe in the daytime? Is it patrolled? Is it that West Bank residents have to go through checkpoints before they can get on the road? I do not hink that that those who might attack us in one place wish us well when we are in another place, so, what is the difference? What is there that makes this road safer by day than night, and safer than going into the West Bank?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

The road is not well lit, it's mostly a 2 lane highway with many blind spots due to slight road undulations, and people tend to pass at poor times. All those factors make the road safer in daylight than night. No other reason

Dr. Z

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

Okay, thank you, so that answers the question about not driving at night. But my husband wants to know, since when you look on a map it appears that highway 90 is in the West Bank area, why it is safe on this highway and not safe inside the West Bank. Guidebooks don't address the situation at all. My husband doesn't want to go into West Bank areas at all, but I want to see this drive. I am having to tell Husband that I don't know why it is safe, it is just because people on TripAdvisor say it is safe.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

There are checkpoints

High Point, North...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: drive from Ein Gedi to Tiberias

Because someone on tripadvisor says it's safe, it does not make it safe. On the other hand, because someone here says it may not be safe, it doesn't make it unsafe. I want to know the facts.

Are PA residents allowed to drive on this road? Do they have to pass IDF checkpoints to get on this road? Are there frequent IDF patrols on Highway 90? Do rental agencies dispatch tow trucks to cars stranded on this road? How many motorists have been attacked on this road in the past year?

Comparing car accidents caused by aggressive Israeli drivers to deliberate terror attacks against motorists is ludicrous.

My questions have nothing to do with my outlook on life. I don't want to subject my family to a mortal danger because someone on Tripadvisor told me that driving for 2 hours through the enemy territory is as safe as driving on any Israeli road.

I may be overreacting, but my primary concern is not to get my family killed because of me listening to someone on tripadvisor whom I don't know and who may be absolutely clueless about the dangers of traveling this route.