We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

My wife and I will be staying in Jerusalem next week and would like to take a day trip to Masada and the Dead Sea. I heard there are many tour operators that will take you to Masada in the morning, then over to a resort so you can actually go into the Dead Sea. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good tour operator?

Thanks

Neal

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

There are two local bus companies which provide day-trips to Masada and the Dead Sea for individuals who want to join a group for that purpose.

Go to: www.inisrael.com/united/asg/Item_230.html for the United Tours itinerary for that tour. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see their online order form.

Go to:http://www.egged.co.il/Eng/main.asp?lngCategoryID=2727 to see all of Egged Tour's one- and two-day trips. Scroll down to see the Masada/Dead Sea information and send an email to "Limor" at <limord@eggedtours.co.il" to book or simply for more information.

If you would prefer the personal touch and flexibility, you can hire a guide with a car OR rent a car & hire a private (non-driving) guide for the day. I know many visitors who have done both of these with much success.

Whatever you decide, please drink LOTS of water (more than you ever thought possible), and wear a good hat and sturdy walking shoes for Masada and when you come down after the tour, have a cup of the fresh squeezed juice (orange, grapefruit, carrot, etc.) to replenish. Take an old swimsuit or shorts & t-shirt (and water shoes or flipflops are a good idea) for going into the Dead Sea; DO float, try the sulphur pools and the mud but do NOT put your face into the "water" of the Dead Sea and be careful if you have any scraps, cuts or rashes as you'll feel a burning sensation or worse when you go in.

And, generally, have a wonderful time! I'll be there next Wednesday (March 22), so maybe I'll see you on top of that wonderful fortress mountain!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

There are two local bus companies which provide day-trips to Masada and the Dead Sea for individuals who want to join a group for that purpose.

Go to: www.inisrael.com/united/asg/Item_230.html for the United Tours itinerary for that tour. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see their online order form.

Go to:http://www.egged.co.il/Eng/main.asp?lngCategoryID=2727 to see all of Egged Tour's one- and two-day trips. Scroll down to see the Masada/Dead Sea information and send an email to "Limor" at <limord@eggedtours.co.il" to book or simply for more information.

If you would prefer the personal touch and flexibility, you can hire a guide with a car OR rent a car & hire a private (non-driving) guide for the day. I know many visitors who have done both of these with much success.

Whatever you decide, please drink LOTS of water (more than you ever thought possible), and wear a good hat and sturdy walking shoes for Masada and when you come down after the tour, have a cup of the fresh squeezed juice (orange, grapefruit, carrot, etc.) to replenish. Take an old swimsuit or shorts & t-shirt (and water shoes or flipflops are a good idea) for going into the Dead Sea; DO float, try the sulphur pools and the mud but do NOT put your face into the "water" of the Dead Sea and be careful if you have any scraps, cuts or rashes as you'll feel a burning sensation or worse when you go in.

And, generally, have a wonderful time! I'll be there next Wednesday (March 22), so maybe I'll see you on top of that wonderful fortress mountain!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

WE did this tour with ARTZEINU tours.

Our tour guide was excellent and we were picked up and returned to The Kings Hotel.

We took our own lunch, but there are kiosks around the Dead Sea. BRING LOTS OF WATER.... it is very hot and wear a wide brimmed hat.

We went in December and it was still very warm. Wear clothes that you can EASILY change in and out of- those little huts on the shore are tiny.

Emjoy.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

Suzanne!

For you and anyone else who plans to be in Massada on Wednesday 22nd - be prepared for a long walk up and down!

The cable car will not be working as it is having its annual overhaul.

Rather you than me :)

Since I walked up in 1968 as a mere youth (youthess?) I have never had the urge to do it again. (Actually I didn't then either but it was obligatory - there was no cable car!)

Personally, I do like using the other side and climbing the ramp but of course this alters the whole tour as you approach from a totally different area.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Pamela Levene

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

Going with a private guide was great because we had his total attention for stories, questions, etc. We were there last week and Masada wasn't especially hot, but I can definitely say the water was necessary...and the fresh-squeezed juice at the bottom of the hill was wonderful!

We heard about the cable car being closed next week, too. Great job, Pamela, of reminding people. Several guides we met during the last few days there didn't know it was about to be closed. That could make for a really long walk and some perturbed tourists, especially if it's warming up there this week.

Also, there is a private beach (I think it's called Mineral Beach) that is owned by the Ahava factory people. If you go into their store first, I think you can get a pass to their beach. Our guide arranged that for us and it was great because there were changing rooms with indoor showers, as well as outdoor showers, shaded areas, chairs, etc.

Do watch out for the water in the eyes. When we were there, many buses of Nigerian visitors were there and apparently nobody warned them about water in the eyes. We saw SEVERAL adults being dragged out of the water because they couldn't open their eyes after splashing each other.

Also, MEN and WOMEN, don't shave that day because it DOES burn!

The mud felt really good as it dried for 10-15 minutes, but I have to say that my skin has been really dry and scaly since that day.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

There is a shop at Massada with the best deals in Israel on AHAVA products like 2 for price of 1 etc.

Normally these type of places have very costly items but the AHAVA was the cheapest we saw. My daughter MADE me get her a "Massada, I came, I saw, I climbed" T-shirt.

BTW, after we came out of the Dead Sea, our skin felt fabulous for quite a few days.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Group Suggestions for Day Trip from Jerusalem to...

The Ein Gedi beach is a little more expensive - though within the price are the man-made hot sulphur baths (some inside and others outside)- and a very large regular swimming pool. And of course great big boxes of mud!

But why I like to go there most is that they have the most simple yet ingenious idea to deal with the problem of salt in the eyes. (That scramble to get out of the water and to the showers can seem like an hour!)

They actually have taps right out in the water with fresh water!

Keep floating!

Pamela