We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilgrim Tours

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pilgrim Tours

I am interested in touring Israel in 2012 and have found a tour with a group called Pilgrim Tours that seems to cover my interests. They are not based in Australia and I've never heard of them before so I'm a bit reluctant to send money without some kind of confirmation that they are a legitimate travel company. Has anyone heard of Pilgrim Tours and do you have any recommendations? I would appreciate your advice.

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilgrim Tours

Welcome to Trip Advisor and the Israel Forum.

Right above your question is a search feature. Pilgrim Tours has been discussed on this forum. ( I don't remember what was said) Search for the company and you will find lots to read!

Edited: 7:52 am, October 28, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilgrim Tours

Definitely a legitimate company. Some negative reviews, more positive reviews, and most of the issues seemed to revolve around hotel qualities. Some Americans come to Israel expecting American-style hotel rooms -- large and plush. While Israeli hotels are expensive overall, they generally don't reach that standard. So some of the negative reviews, in my view, represent unrealistic expectations.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilgrim Tours

I am probably a little late in replying to this but I have booked a tour with Pilgrim Tours for next May to Israel and Jordan for 17 days. I contacted the company and downloaded their application from the website. Filled it out and sent the relevant documentation plus credit card details. They required $300 deposit per person, which at the time was only about $280AUD. They emailed me when they charged my credit card. I have been in contact with the tour leader Van Hodges who sounds very nice. I looked at different companies and Pilgrim offered what I was looking for. We will be spending 6 nights at the Olive Tree Hotel in Jerusalem and the TA reviews read very well. I was concerned about Visas for Jordan but Van said all was organized through the company. I think our biggest worry might be that we have already booked and paid for airfares with QANTAS(due to the strikes) to Bankok where we will stay overnight and then fly with Royal Jordanian who codeshare with QANTAS. I am very excited and cant wait to visit such a wonderful place. I am constantly checking the Israel Travel Forum because the knowledge that some of people on this site have is tremendous. Hope that has been of some help. It was all too easy with the booking.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilgrim Tours

ForbesAustral, will you be staying in Jerusalem's Olive Tree Hotel for the entire duration of your tour?

If so, regardless of the tour operator you choose, I urge anyone to avoid a tour itinerary that includes only a Jerusalem hotel as you base for touring. Israel is small, but not that small. Logistically speaking, it's not convenient to tour Galilee from a Jerusalem base - you'll be wasting too many precious hours on a bus each day going back and forth.

For any first-time visit of Israel (i.e. ~ 10-day group tour), I suggest you look for itineraries that include at least 3 bases for accommodation (and ideally in this order):

1) Tel Aviv

2) Galilee - either Tiberias or a guesthouse/hotel in the Galilean countryside

3) Jerusalem

Edited: 6:43 am, December 06, 2011
Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilgrim Tours

Thank you to Dave theguide for your concerns. We will be arriving earlier than the tour and plan on spending time in TelAviv both before and after the tour. We will have 2 bases in Israel the first one in Jerusalem and then onto Tiberias. And then we travel to Jordan. I am thinking that this short tour will give us a taste of these countries and I think that after we have visited that we will want to come back and explore with the help of a guide.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilgrim Tours

Great idea. Your plans sounds like you're going to be making the most out of this visit.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pilgrim Tours

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice, greatly appreciated. Forbes, you are right, Pilgrim offer a great itinerary. I'm looking at the Footsteps of Paul & John tour then the Exodus trip so hope to cover a lot of biblical ground.

wishing you safe and joyful travels

Tracey

8. Re: Pilgrim Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:06 am, August 31, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pilgrim Tours

I am not sure why you resurrected an eight month old thread. But, since you did--be aware that the Bible and quoting from it is very standard for tour guides in Israel. Israel, is a land that was given to Jews in the Bible, its cities, towns, and geography is all described in the Bible and many tour guides use the Bible constantly. ( those that don't it is more in response to the type of tour than their inability) Any tour with a religious connection will be using a the Bible.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pilgrim Tours

I am too late to see what was in post 8, but if it was a complaint that an outfit called Pilgrim Tours has too much Bible quoting, somebody needs to use a dictionary!

There are tours that are not religiously orientated, but with a name like Pilgrim Tours...

(so tell me, rdglady, what did I miss? ;-))