We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furniture

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Furniture

Does anyone know of where one can buy good (not too flashy) furniture? Don't really know where to go to buy a chairs or a small sofa...

/M

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Furniture

Well, as long as you're going to Tel Aviv, make it a longer visit and go, first, over to Jaffa to the flea market. I know people that have found some really good pieces there and at really good prices! I don't know that much about it (having never been myself), but Anon (and maybe others) have been there and know the days/hours of operation as well as exactly where it is.

There's a nice, rather upscale furniture store here in Jerusalem on Derek Hevron, just before the intersection we call "Tzomet HaBankim" (the junction of the banks, except that now, there's only one bank...). It's called Hollandia and there's a Bank Hapoalim right beside it. And there are others in the Talpiot Industrial Zone (and elsewhere, probably).

Otherwise, you could lurk about on a couple of message boards as sometimes, new immigrants who decide to leave Israel (although I can't imagine why they would do that), sell their furniture, so you might see something useful advertised. Take a look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/janglo as a place to start.

Does this mean that when you and Anon and I finally get together, we might even get to visit you in the Christian Quarter and have something to sit on?!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Furniture

lol...I am not having you girls at home. I will buy you a super-sized latte when we meet! You'll faint if you see where I live, I have those dome like ceilings though the stone floor is uneven and part cracked. The loo doesn't have a door but I did find a shower curtain for the sake of the neighbours. Bought a carpet and a few black & white photos yesterday however the water still leaks over the kitchen sink (from the 50s judging by the deep marble style).

Yes, as both me and my husband are historians, and as I wasn't here when he was scouting out for apartments, he thought this would tickle my sense of history. It is charming but I need to get it going before the women from the Embassy insist on coming over for tea!

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Furniture

PS: I'll look up Hollandia and the janglo page.

Thanks

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Furniture

Hey let me know when you are headed to Hollandia - I live in that neighborhood - we could meet there and try out the lounge chairs and beat the pillows! Could be fun!

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Furniture

Sure thing. Will try and do it before I leave. It seems to be walking distance from me, according to the map that is.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Furniture

Well, if you are coming from the Old City, you might want to take a bus (#7 from downtown stops right by it) or taxi... it CAN be walked, but it's not very close. Maybe you should give me a call and I can direct you...

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Furniture

Oh - not THIS Friday - I'm actually working! But Thursday or Sunday could be good.

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Furniture

A bit indecisive on whether to go now or on return. Whatever be the case, that is if I go in the coming week, I'll let you know accordingly.

PS: Janglo is bit much...(too much info)

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Furniture

Fine to go to Hollandia to visit Suzanne - as it's her birtday this Friday - but the place to buy cheap and cheerful furniture is in the Industrial Zone of Talpiot, not far away from there. Lot of different shops for different budgets. And if you chance to be in Netanya, there's a IKEA store there...

Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Furniture

Pls don't say IKEA, you forget I am have od-ed on the Volvo society having lived there forever! Industrial Zone of Talpiot it is, though it will have to wait. I am heading to Jodhpur in India for a few days, it is haven for furniture that the royal families have sold. Some of the it is a bit much, you know heavy and dark, some of the other things are just fantastic.

PS: Suz...does life start after 30? :)