We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

residential options

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
residential options

Me again...about my son's upcoming semester abroad(I know...he should be making all these decisions, but he hasn't and I can't stand around waiting with only a few weeks til he goes)

He does NOT have a commitment (yet) for dorm space at Mt Scopus.

What are your comments about whether he should live in an apartment instead of dorms?

Would Ychernekovsy st on the Rechavia/Katamon border be a good choice, or is it way too far away? (That's a place his friend has found, but I think it sounds too far from campus)

I can't find a map anywhere on the internet that shows me where exactly Mt Scopus is and streets/neighborhoods, etc. I know it's off the beaten-path, but I can't find it on maps.

Any advice?

Parents feel we should stand firm about the dorm, for many reasons. Yet we're thousands of miles away and don't have any familiarity.

We ARE planning to visit in March. YEAH!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: residential options

I would stand firm on the dorms issue myself.

Anon can give you specifics on the neighborhoods. But Mount Scopus is east of the Old City, across the Valley of Kidron, and just north of the Mount of Olives. It is not very convenient to the center city area, though there is obviously bus service.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: residential options

I'll try to take you through it.

Go to this map, keeping this page open as well www.jerusalemmap.com/cgi-bin/map/quik3.cgi

The University is appr. in the green spot at the top right hand corner (if you click on the semi circular street, you should see the area enlarged).

Tcernihovsky Street is at the bottom left corner - if you click at the bottom left grid you'll see it. So, it's far away (appr. 20/30 minutes by bus) and Tcernihovsky is not even terribly close to the center of town. I would stick to the dorms, at least in the beginning. Once your son gets the bearing of town he will be able to decide on his own. It's much easier to get out of the dorms than of a flat one doesn't want. And Jerusalem in the winter can be cold and rainy - much nicer to have a dwelling close by, believe me. Work on getting a committment on the dorms. Stress your son does not have a family - it shouldn't be difficult to get one.

Good luck!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: residential options

I have sent my kids away to both dorm and appartments.

I agree with both the other posters.... the dorm is MUCH better.

In an appartment, it may sound like fun, fewer rules etc , but in away from home it does get lonely, plus there is often a problem with group dynamics.

Your roomates may get invited away for a weekend, they may decide to LEAVE the appartment leaving your son having to make all the rent payments, in an appartment the occupiers are totally responsible for the cooking/cleaning/repairs etc while in a dorm there is a cook, the rooms should be cleaned weekly as per individual arrangements PLUS there are lots of other kids from all over the world for him to meet.

Much less chance for him to feel lonely and he will make many more friends.

BTW, so far I have sent away 6 of my kids so I REALLY speak from experience.

Hope this helps.

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: residential options

Thank you all so very, very much.

We told him last night that he needs to commit to the dorms. I hate to admit that I did this, but I actually called the school office myself (since son wouldn't do it!) and found out that he WILL have dorm space. That's all I needed to hear, combined with your feedback, and the feedback of my Rabbis and some friends. So, he says that we (his parents) might be compromising his overall experience to some extent...my response was "Well, at least you could be happy that you're being given this opportunity!" (That brought quiet to the phone lines for a minute or so!). I think he's o.k. with it.

I know he'll be riding busses (and I know it's better than it was when I was there nearly 3 years ago). I'm o.k. with that.

And, although you're strangers to me personally, I want to thank all of you for your support, advice and feedback.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: residential options

You are very welcome. I am sure you are actually improving his experience. If you need something when he's here - just drop a line.