We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southcoast Mass
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hello,

It's been a life long dream to travel to Jerusalem. I've finally decided to start researching this trip. I have a couple of questions.

Is it safe for a north american, middle aged woman traveling alone? What are the NO-GO areas?

I prefer to stay as close to the Old city as possible, so I can walk to most of the sites, does anyone have a good budget/tourist hotel recommendation?

I'll have many questions and I know I'll be back to this forum often.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

First, I'd totally recommend that you make the trip. Street crime in Israel is far less than in the United States, and while you have to use common sense, and watch for pickpockets like you would anywhere, you'll be fine.

Second, I'll offer to send you a free, 23-page guide that I have prepared based on my seven trips to Israel, most recently in May 2005. It's not anything commercial -- I'm a lawyer, not in the travel business -- but I like to help people plan their trips, particularly independent travelers. Just e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I'll send it via reply e-mail.

Third, I'd recommend that you stay at the Three Arches Hotel in the Jerusalem International YMCA on King David Street, directly across the street from the posh King David Hotel. You'll read more about it in my guide, but it's reasonable ($75 a night for a single, B&B), it's a beautiful old building, and while it needs upkeep, it's clean, a 10-minute walk from the Old City, convenient to center-city restaurants and shops, and has a lot of charm. Plus, as a single traveler, you'll have the chance to meet the many Israelis and travelers from all over the world who stay there.

I hope to hear from you, and CONGRATS on your decision to go! You'll LOVE it!!!!

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

I wanted to offer a couple of additional comments.

First, the only "no go" areas that I would say for Jerusalem would be the Old City at night, unless with a group. You are far safer walking around alone at night in Israel than anywhere in the US. I've seen older women crossing dark parks alone at night without worrying.

Second, while I understand your attraction to Jerusalem -- and share it -- I do hope you plan to see other areas of Israel while you are there. It is such a small country (about the size of New Jersey) that this is very easy. One of the amazing things about the country is that such a small place can be so diverse, geographically, historically, and culturally. It's a rich mosaic -- drink it all in. That said, I usually do recommend that about half of any trip be spent in Jerusalem.

Douglas Duckett

Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hello

Im probably too late to help you. I was visiting Yerushalayim two weeks ago (late November 2005). Im a middle aged woman from Denmark travelling alone. I felt safe. I stayed at the hotel Kikar Zion close to what you wish to visit. Well, NO-GO areas, I decided not to go alone in East Jerusalem and I used the Jaffa, Zion and Dung Gate. Its easy to arrange some daily guided tours in The Old City and to the important and holy places in Israel. Again: I felt safe and happy in The Holy Land.

Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hello

I agree, don't go alone in The Old City when its dark. I must admit my hotel was cheaper and almost the same can be said about it as the gentleman said about his hotel. I booked mine on the Internet. That's right a good map is very important. I bought a couple there and brought two books with me from Denmark specially about visiting Israel. I went out every evening, lots of people in Ben-Yehuda St. (walking street only), tourists, Israelis with their kids. Don't hesitate to go. I'll be visiting The Holy Land again next year. My e-mail addres is: fayegie@hotmail.com.

Southcoast Mass
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Thanks all for your guidance and recommendations. I've just started the research and I'm sure things will go well and that i'll be back with more questions.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hi

I live in Tel Aviv and willing to help in any way.

Safety question was answered. I recommend that you have a full trip, not only Jerusalem, coming all the way from New-England size the opportunity. If you let us know what are your interests we can suggest places. When is your trip? Try to avoid July-August, part of September, and the Easter time. These times are busy, not everything is open and so on. Best time is April-May, or November when it is not hot. If you like you can write to me to my email for any information or help while you are here.

Southcoast Mass
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Basically, I'm planning for mid to late October for 12-14 days. My interests are wide range. I'm a Christian and am interested in those sites. I am also a bibilical archeology & history buff, thus entralled by the old Jewish sites. I'm not necessarily a religous person, more spiritual than anything else. Christianity is based on the Jewish tradition, so basically it's all the same to me. I would love to maybe share a jewish meal with a family but I don't know if that's possible. My thoughts thus far are to fly into TV and travel to the outlying sites by some kind of transport, staying along the way, then ending up in Jerusalem for 7 days or so. I've always been a little skiddish about driving in foreign countries, so I have to figure that aspect out.

Once in Jerusalem, I'll walk or take public transport. In my previous travels, I've always done the "independant thing" with the occasional organized day trip. I travel on a modest budget, so cost is a consideration. So that's my story.

I have to say the people on this forum are just wonderful.

London, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hi

I just wanted to mention Kibbutz Ein Gedi to you as option for a one night trip from Jerusalem. Kibbutz Ein Gedi is on the Dead Sea and I think it would be a great place to go as a single traveller as dining and evening entertainment are included and communal. The website below gives you all of the information, but if you were thinking of seeing Masada and floating in the Dead Sea (such a thrill!) and perhaps enjoy some spa time and breathtaking scenery, I would very much recommend it.

Its easy to forget that you are allowed to holiday in Israel and not just be a pilgrim!

My husband and I spent 3 months in Israel this summer and I am always jealous to see people planning their trips, but wish you a most wonderful time!

London, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

In my rambling message I forgot to give you the website!!

http://www.ngedi.com

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety-Is a middle aged women traveling solo safe ?

Hi again

7 days in jerusalem out of 12-14 seem to much to me. The main sites are close to each other. Try to get an organized tour to Beth Lechem, don't do it alone. Public transport is fine and not expensive. There is a bus that goes thru most of the sites it Jerusalem, and you can stop anytime, walk around, and get on it again later. The ticket is for one day. While in Jerusalem don't miss the "scrolls" at the Isreal Museum.

A jewish meal is not something concrete, as jews from all over the world live here and each group has its "jewish meal". The food at Dr. Shakshuka in old Jaffa (Jaffa is part of Tel Aviv) is North African jewish food. The food at Cafe Batia in Tel Aviv is what you probably call "jewish food", the East-European version.

The public transport in Tel Aviv area has a one day bus ticket that can be bought after 0900. It costs about 2.5$. If you are over 60 all public transport in the country is half price, including the train. Just tell the driver that you are "seinor". Most of them know at least some English, and if not, one of the passngers will translate. Here I must add a comment. Israelis are warm people and willing to help, but might ask too many questions. Be careful trusting people but don't push them away. You are traveling and meeting the locals is part of the bargain. If you have more questions, shoot. Here or email me shoshi41@yahoo.com