We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem Supermarket

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem Supermarket

In the United States, we have supermarkets where you can buy large varieties of staple, fresh, and frozen foods.

Is there an equivalent in Jerusalem near St. Andrews Scots Guest House or Jaffa Gate?

Is this store open Saturday afternoon or night?

My son has allergy to Wheat / Gluten and we plan to cook / prepare as many meals as possible during our 6 day visit.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

Mega Supermarkets should have gluten free items. Supersol is also a large chain but unsure if they have it.

Either way, it would be a shame to miss out on some of Jerusalem's really great restaurants. Your son could partake of some excellent salads.

Dr. Z

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

Jerusalem - Gluten free products are available in almost any supermarket. I don't know of a particular one near your hotel but someone else will provide the information. Many supermarkets are open till 2000, and on Thusdays till 2200. They are closed on Saturdays and close early afternoons on Fridays.The shops in the Old City are open on Saturdays but gluten free produsts might not be available.

Restaurants - ask the waiters for gluten free dishes. Salads for sure, but also other dishes might be suitable.

Where else you are going to stay?

Edited: 1:45 am, May 19, 2010
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

Great Info.

The supermarket SuperSol is on 1 Argon Street in Jerusalem, near American Consulate. Also known as Shufersal. I found more info such as open hours on Trip Advisor by searching Supersol or Shufersal. Google maps says SuperSol is 16 min walk from St. Andrews Scots Guest House. We will probably walk there and take Taxi back to the Scots. Google map link follows.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Could NOT find website in English for SuperSol or Shufersal for current hours.

We will definitely try local merchants in Jerusalem. We will have Gluten Allergy card in Hebrew, Arabic, and English. Hope it works in the local restuarants. It is free at following website.

www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

Someone should point out to the operators of this celiac website an error on their site. It states: "Hebrew is spoken in the following countries: Israel, Palestine State." Putting aside what may or may not happen in the future, there is not currently any "Palestine State."

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

From St Andrews it is an uphill walk to the Agron SuperSol/Shufersal. Another option a similar distance away is Super haMoshava on Emek Refaim St - which is a little expensive but has a lot of American products, which might be useful for you. A bit further away, on Pierre Koenig St, there is a big (and cheaper) SuperSol/Shufersal, and an enormous Mega in the basement of the Hadar shopping mall.

I agree with others though that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find wheat-free options in restaurants, especially in this area. On Emek Refaim St there are a lot of restaurants and they are used to English speakers so it won't be a problem to discuss your son's needs with the staff.

Avigail

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

I buy at one of the Mega stores in Tel Aviv, a smaller than the one metioned by Avigail and it has a whole section on gluten free products. Also, on most packages the list of ingredients is in Hebrew and in English.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

I forgot to add that you can ask at the guest house where they but and if that place makes deliveries, same with Mega and Supersol.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

The Supermarket at 1 Agron is a large modern supermarket. It has, like all Israeli supermarkets a large variety of staples, fresh and frozen food. It also has an inhouse bakery, appetizing department, meat, alcohol, and pre-cooked foods. ( it is also expensive by the standards of Israeli supermarkets)

As an aside, Israel, despite it huge history and archeological sites is a modern 21st Century country. There is nothing in the US that you can't find in Israel. In fact, I was able to use my American Charge cards for supermarket purchases in Israel, way before I could use them for Supermarket purchases in the US!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

That's not the only web site that mentions the State of Palestine.

You might want to go to a supermarket with a great selection, although more distant. The one on Agron is a small neighborhood store. If you are able (and willing) go to Talpiot where there are several supermarkets including Shufersal (Supersol), Mega, Rami Levi (least expensive with great selection.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 3:26 am, May 21, 2010
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerusalem Supermarket

One more supermarket nearby the St. Andrews Guest House is SuperDeal on Derek Hevron. When you walk down the drive from St. Andrews, turn LEFT, walk past the Khan and the old train station and continue on following the road. At the stop light, turn right... just beyond the building on the corner (and across from the Dan Boutique Hotel, there is a steep turn to the right. Follow that down and on your right, just past "The Lab" (restaurant & night club), you'll see the entrance to SuperDeal. It's a small supermarket, but it has basically everything. The manager is very nice and helpful.

All the supermarkets are closed on Shabbat, but there are many "24-hour" stores around (on Derek Hevron just past the Dan Boutique and on Keren Hayesod Street a block up from the Dan Panorama and downtown on Hillel, Shamai and elsewhere). If you have transportation, there's a great supermarket with almost everything called "Tannur" in Wadi Joz - it's open 24/7 - but you'll need your own car or a taxi to get there.

But I have a question - St. Andrews does NOT have cooking facilities in the rooms, so how is it that you will be preparing your own meals? Or are you staying in a nearby B&B? And in that case, you'll need to make sure the owner allows for such cooking, as their facilities might be kosher... anyway, just a concern, trying to help.

suzanne pomeranz

jerusalem, israel