We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wadi qelt

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holland
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wadi qelt

Hi,

Is it possible to take a rental car to visit Wadi Qelt? Or could you recommend a 1-day group-tour/private guide to visit the area. And how many time should we schedule to visit this place? We're staying in Jerusalem.

Hanna

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wadi qelt

Hi Hannez, welcome back. The approach to Wadi Qelt is through a very scenic but not car accessible gorge. You are supposed to leave the car at a spot on the Jerusalem.Dead Sea Road above. It is a very solitary area and the trek should be made by people who know the road and with suitable gear. If I am not mistaken, Matzhick went there a while ago and reported about it in this forum.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wadi qelt

Here is the link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k310…

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wadi qelt

I took an inexpensive (Palestinian) taxi from Bethlehem in December. There is not an enormous amount to see in the monastery itself but the walk from the car park through the wadi takes some time, so I would budget 1½ hours + travel time for this.

If you PM me, I'll be happy to send you my taxi driver's contact details. I'd recommend him any day.

Edited: 6:56 am, February 06, 2010
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wadi qelt

John!!

"There is not an enormous amount to see in the monastery itself"

--- I could spend three hours showing and explaining you the hidden gems of this monastery...

But OK, in order not to trigger another discussion on this subject: I am not a licensed guide... So I would not do it... Promised.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wadi qelt

Matzchik - knowing you, I'm sure you would do it as a friend, and not as a guide. Friends don't need to be licensed !!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wadi qelt

The fact that John went and found not much to see and Matzchik who is knowledgeable about the site ( but not a guide) could keep you busy for hours shows why for some sites it is really worthwhile to hire, if you can manage it, a licensed guide. Sometimes you do miss out when you go by yourself.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wadi qelt

Matzchik, I'd be delighted to learn whatever I can from you. I'll be back in Israel later this year (God willing) and I hope you will allow me to treat you to a meal, coffee or beer - whatever you have time for - and benefit from your far deeper knowledge.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wadi qelt

Hey! What a great idea for a TA get-together :-)

Edited: 6:27 am, February 07, 2010
Holland
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wadi qelt

Thanks Anon, it's good to be back ;-)

Thank you all for the replies so far, very helpfull.

10. Re: Wadi qelt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 07, 2010