We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Questions for Jerusalem

new york
1 post
Save Topic
Basic Questions for Jerusalem

Hello All,

apologies in advance for elementary questions

I am looking at visiting Jerusalem in Late December. At that stage I will be 4 months pregnant (second trimester).

Am concerned about how friendly the city would be then? As well as general safety? With suicide attacks etc?

Also, what day trips (that are no physically exerting) would you recommend?

I am thinking about Gate 1 agency and staying at the Jerusalem Tower?

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

No apology is necessary. This is a great forum for learning. I learn every time I visit here.

How long will you be staying in Jerusalem? Will you be spending your entire time in Israel there? Is this your first trip to Israel?

I cannot say enough good things about Gate 1. Have used them thrice and using them again next year. Tell Roberta that Kathy from Indiana gave kudos.

I would not worry at all about safety....you will be in a very safe place indeed. In my trips I have not felt any less than secure...not at all apprehensive. I believe you will find that Israelis generally love Americans.

I will not make a longer post until I know how long you will be in the country and, perhaps, what your interests are......Christian sites? Muslim? Historical generally? Day trips are certainly a possibility and there are places that I would say are "must sees", however, without knowing your interests I cannot know what to recommend.

My favorite guides of the several I have experienced are Ezra Eini and Moti Dagan. A few of my friends used Moti for a day when our tour gave us "a day off" this past March and we were not at all disappointed. You can contact Ezra through Roberta at Gate 1 and you can contact Moti via email at motidagan@walla.co.il

Hope this helps a bit. I will be going to Israel twice next year and staying at the Jerusalem Tower on one of those trips. Having never stayed there before I cannot give you an opinion on it specifically.

Kathy

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

I personally would pamper myself more with the hotel. Tell me what your budget is and I will try and see what are the other possibilities.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

Oh and late December this year is Hanukkah. Great time for coming as the houses will be lit up. You guides can take you on an evening car trip of the religious neighborhoods, or on a short stroll.

Enjoy !!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,740 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

I think I may have e-mailed my guide to your question (a man who asked about the safety of traveling with his pregnant wife). So if so, you have my best advice on travel to Israel. If not, I'd be happy to send it; e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net.

I echo Kathy's comments -- you'll be safer in Israel than any major American city. While I've never been pregnant, rather obviously, I'd second Anon's suggestion -- get a nicer hotel than I usually do (I'm not one to blow lots of money on hotels I only see when sleeping).

Chanukah would be a fine time to be there. If you're from New York, you'll do fine with Israelis. They're a lot a like -- sometimes tough and brusque on the outside, warm and welcoming once you get past that.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

My husband commutes daily to Jerusalem. We don't worry about suicide attacks.

As for friendly, people are generally friendly, especially to pregnant women!

Day trips? Besides museums, etc. actually Masada has a special trck for the nadicapped that can be used by anyone who doesn't want to exert him/herself (as long as it's not raining).

Most parts of the city are quite safe, especially in the Western side.

I hope this answered your questions.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
18 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic Questions for Jerusalem

I might add that you can expect cold wintry weather and should dress accordingly.

David Zohar

Jerusalem

PS There is excellent medical service in Jerusalem should you need it.