We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

We will be in Israel Easter, 2010 and want to see the old (destroyed) village of Emmaus (a church has been erected there)as we are all a part of the Emmaus Community which is worldwide. Any info on this area?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

This is the information I found

http://www.tourism.gov.il/Tourism_Eng/Tourist+Information/Christian+Themes/Details/Emmaus.htm

http://www.rc.net/wcc/israel/emmaus.htm

www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/emmaus.htm

There are more links but I was not sure what you already know or saw.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

To every simple question there is a complicated answer.

To be honest, there is great debate about where the first century village of Emmaus (mentioned in Luke's resurrection narrative) was. There are several canidates and Byzantine church ruins in each.

I suspect you're thinking about "Emmaus Nicopolis", because it has the best knows ruins of the various proposed sites. You can read a bit about it here:

sightseeinginisrael.com/latrun-junction-shri…

If you can get a hold of a copy of the Mar/Apr 2008 issue of Biblical Archaeological Review, Hershel Shanks has a good article on this site.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

What do you mean by the "Emmaus community"?

While it is true that there are several places linked to the biblical Emmaus, there are also several christian communities / religious orders at these different places:

1. At Latrun, there is a French Trappist monastery. They are very welcoming to visitors and also have a big store where they sell produce from the monastery, like wine, brandy (excellent!!), honey, candles, spices etc...

2. Part of the Trappist monastery compound - actually some nicely renovated ruins of the old fortress - have been rended out to the German Protestant "Jesusbruderschaft" (Fraternity of Jesus). They also welcome visitors, but are a bit more secluded.

4. Emmaus-Nicopolis has a church which is run by the French Catholic "Communauté des Béatitudes". I think that they are also in charge of the ruins of the Byzantine church.

5. At Emmaus-Qubeibe (actually in the West Bank, behind the Separation Barrier) there is a home for handicapped people, run by the community of the Salvatorian Sisters. Good to see if you are interested in the social work of a Christian church. However: not much to see from a touristic viewpoint, and difficult to get there.

Seattle
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

If you can get a hold of a copy of the Mar/Apr 2008 issue of Biblical Archaeological Review, Hershel Shanks has a good article on this site.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PS- I did find this issue on my shelf and I can send you a copy if you wish. PM me with your address.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

I think you are referring to Imwas/latrun, Beit Nuba and Yalo villages destroyed in June 1967.

check following link:

http://www.nakbainhebrew.org/index.php?id=605

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

What a fantastically objective article

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

Anon--you forgot to add "relevant" to your post! -:)

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

Indeed, indeed

Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

DogmeatAl----got the article today and it is great!!!

Thanks for being so considerate! Have talked with our guide for Easter, 2010, and this stop will be worked into our sight seeing. Really means alot to all of us in the group as we are part of the Emmaus Community that is worldwide.

10. Re: Imwas, Beir Nuba and Yab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 24, 2009