We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

Would you trade an old city view at the Citadel for a new city view at the brand new Mamila Hotel located at 11 King Solomon St.?

I love the look of the hotel and am partial to modern decor which this hotel has in spades. They claim are are in a better neighborhood.

Which would you pick?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

I assume we're talking the David Citadel on King David Street? While I never spend that kind of money on hotels, the David Citadel is a beautiful hotel in a perfectly good neighborhood. I would never trade that and a view of the Old City for a view of the New City.

I'm sure the new hotel is probably nice, but I'd stick with what you have.

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

The Mamilla hotel is not open yet as far as I know. I don't know which better neighborhood they are talking about since they are across the road from the David Citadel. If you have an Old City view at the David Citadel, don't trade it for anything at this point in time. The Mamilla looks rather crampedly built from the outside.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

Things always tend to run behind schedule here, so if you book the Mamila Hotel, make sure they are actually ready to accommodate guests in time for your stay. Right now it is a construction site. Both locations are nice.

New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

I am booked into the mamilla in mid-September. Has anyone seen any progress on the construction front? I know they opened, but if it is still a mess, I would move to the Inbal.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

Two weeks ago a friend and I walked into the Mamila to get information. It was very hushed and very upscale in the lobby. They told my friend not to drink from her water bottle in the lobby because they didn't want her to accidently spill any water. We spoke to the reception desk. Basically except for the bar in the upper lobby and the restaurant for breakfast most of the hotel facilities are not yet complete. Guests at the Mamila may l use the pool and facilities at the Citadel--which is located directly off the street. ( not in another neighborhood as hinted at by an earlier poster) The two hotels are owned by the same person.

In terms of whether it is a mess. The lobby wasn't I do not know about upstairs--but considering the message they want to put out--I doubt it! Entrance also was appropriate, no mess.

Personally, I would rather stay in a hotel that has the facilities complete--I wouldn't want to be shlepping accross the street. I can appreciate wanting to stay in a new hotel and I realized that the rates are probably lower now than they will ever agin be. So--Mamilla versus Inbal--two different experiences, no right answer. Share what you decide to do. AND , if you go to the Mamila--please be sure to post a trip report, as people are looking for updated info on this establishment.

Zichron Yaakov...
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

Friends of mine just stayed at the Citadel. They invited me to join them for lunch in the open area there.

Turned out they had started out at the Mamilla (wanted to try something new) , hated it and moved out! To the Citadel.

Amongst other things, didn't like the service.

I have never stayed at either, but have eaten at the Citadel on more than one occassion. Evening meals are superb.

However, this lunch, like the others I have had was over-priced and poor quality (except for the superb dessert). The service was very pleasant, respectful but totally incompetent. We waited ages, then got the wrong items. Then waited ages again. My friends did not seem to notice.

So what conclusion can we draw?

I'm afraid not a very clear one. What one person likes, another detests and vice-versa.

Sorry to be so unclear but at least I could establish the fact that the Mamilla is open :)

Pamela

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

Mamilla is open, but not all parts are finished. So for now, I'd stick with the Citadel, which is open and finished and beautiful.

8. Re: Citadel verses the Mimila hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 04, 2010