We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Pittsford
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

I am traveling for 2 weeks with a rental car. I cannot find good maps that don't cost a fortune each. I saw the Rand McNally Hallwag International Road Map: Israel but online and I couldn't see the map itself. I want to be able to get into and out of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and go North and south. I don't mind a few maps to do this as I realize one won't be adequate. Doug had recommended Carta maps but I looked online and they were out of print.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

The map I use and swear by is called "Israel" the New Road Atlas. It is published by MAP ( Mapping and Publishing) I purchase it in Israel. I do not know if it is available outside of Israel. The latest edition is 2009.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

The Mapa - or Map - maps are indeed the best. You can get them at the airport bookshop, just outside the arrivals' concourse.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Order from http://books.mapa.co.il/bookPage.asp?bID=36

Pittsford
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Thank you all for answering so quickly and similarly! I will definitely get that one!

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Don't waste money!! I've been told (on phone from UK) from Avis from whom I've rented the car that a map won't be given, however I was given a map by the rental company in the airport?!! I've just returned from Israel on Saturday and the first thing I did in airport was to buy a MAP from the famous Bookshop Tsaezsky for 34 NIS - NEVER used it!! There is Tourist Information desk in the airport were you could get a free map of Israel even at 2.30am (our landing). We collected another half a dozen maps everywhere we went, however the best thing as suggested here and I benefited from is - if you know your travel itinerary print out from Google maps the route for each trip. This was the best advise I found here concerning the MAPS!! The roads are fantastic and clearly marked everywhere - I loved driving in Israel!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Pittsford
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Thanks a lot! I will take your advice and get them there and also mapquest some routes, such as from the Airport to our first hotel. J

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Just a small correction - the bookstore is called Steimatzky.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Even though every rental agency gives a map I still prefer the MAP book. It is a spiral bound book with the country divided into roughly 70 pages. I find it easier to use than the large fold out maps provided by the rental companies. I also find it has 100% of the roads, the rental company maps leave off some smaller ones.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Map books are miles more detailed. And if your itinerary in Googlemaps hits a snag - like a traffic jam or even a changed direction - you are stuck.

Pittsford
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone recommend a map or maps ??

Thanks! I had trouble locating the spiral notebook map online or at Barnes and Noble. Can you buy this at the Airport at Steimatskys?