We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i be concerned about security?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern Cailfornia
1 post
Save Topic
Should i be concerned about security?

I want to travel to Jerusalem in August but i have been reading about the security concerns that the US department of state put out. (…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_922.html) I obviously would not be traveling to the Gaza strip like the article was talking about, but I wanted to go to Masada and the Dead Sea which involves traveling through the West Bank. Should I be concerned about the risks?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

In a word, no. Search this forum for the word "security," and you will find numerous threads that discuss this issue, but you are far safer in Israel than you would be in Los Angeles.

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

In complete agreement with Labatt.

Just to clarify - the road from Jerusalem to Masada and the Dead Sea, although partially in the West Bank, are entirely under Israeli control, and as such, no more problematic than any other road in Israel. Same goes for the road from Jerusalem north to Tiberias.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

The State Department advisories are barely worth the paper they are printed on. Unfortunately, they are constant and if there ever was a real security risk it would be like the proverbial boy who cried wolf. Read this board--all these people go as well as another 2 million or so who choose not to go on TA. If the danger matched the warnings it would be front page news in all the papers--obviously it isn't!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

Masada & Dead Sea in August? Concern yourself with staying hydrated and adequately protected from the sun. It's blazing HOT in August.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

IndigoGrrl has an important point. Heat is a problem, security is not.

Singapore
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

Like you, I was very concerned about security prior to my visit to Israel. And I must say that I have been unduly worried. My friend and I drove from the airport to the north, and then from the north to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea area. Massada was the furthest south we went. At no point did we feel unsafe or threatened. In fact, we felt very safe at all times and the presence of security check at one point on our way to the Dead Sea and back made us feel even safer. Perhaps the only thing to look out for is speeding drivers. Also if you're not familiar with the terrain, it's best to keep your driving speed to the recommended 80km/hr. Simply let the other cars overtake which was what we did.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

"like the proverbial boy who cried wolf" - yes, rdglady has got exactly the point. Why are diplomats doing this?

My very own embassy (not US) here in the country is sending out all kinds of security warnings to all of its citizens who are residents here, every now and then. And sometimes, I read in these warnings: "Avoid to go to quarter XY of Jerusalem these days!" And then I realize: Hey, I actually LIVE in quarter XY of Jerusalem! Should I evaporate then? The city is buzzling with tourists, people stroll in the roads, our little one is playing outside, and the policemen at the street corner don't look too nervous - but we should not go where we are?

Maybe this is occupation therapy for bored diplomats. But it is not funny...

8. Re: Should i be concerned about security?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 21, 2009