We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Hello,

I will be in Jerusalem on Dec 22nd, for 3 days. Any restaurant and Cafes recommendations? I will be stayimng at Hotel Gloria in the old town, but for lunch will probably be all over the mp, depending on the day.

I usually like to go for not xpensive and Moderate priced plces, where most locals go.

Also,m any recommendations for dinner or activities for the evening of Dec 24th?

Thx

Alex

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

I will quote from the Jerusalem restaurant section of my guide, leaving out the expensive-end recommendations:

• One of the loveliest, hideway cafés and bookstores in the city is Tmol Shilshom at 5 Yoel Salomon Street, in the courtyard upstairs behind this address, tel. (02) 623-2758. It’s quite a gathering place for Jerusalemites of all kinds, and has bookmarks from all over the world pinned up on the wall. In a late 1990s visit, I was stunned to notice a bookmark from a local bookstore in Cincinnati pinned right over my partner’s head! There are also readings, concerts, and other events here, and you can check on what is happening during your visit at www.tmol-shilshom.co.il. The restaurant is kosher, the food is excellent, and the atmosphere incomparable. It is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Say “shalom” to owner David Ehrlich for me!

I hope that helps, and have a great visit!

Douglas Duckett

The German Colony area, not far south of the King David Street area with its many hotels, is a delightful neighborhood to explore. My favorite new restaurant of the 2008 trip was Joy Restaurant, a mehadrin kosher grill restaurant at 24 Emek Refa’im Street in the German Colony. Tel. (02) 563-0033; e-mail Shlomid2000@yahoo.com. It absolutely deserves its rave reviews. After two weeks of mostly fish and vegetarian dishes, I dove into one of the best burgers of my life, and I can’t wait to introduce my partner to it on our next visit. It has a wide ranging menu as well. Please tell co-owner Revital “shalom” for me, and she will be happy to show you around.

• Te’enim (Figs) in the Zionist Confederation House behind the King David is an inexpensive, charming vegetarian place, very small with a spectacular view of the Old City walls, particularly when they are illuminated at night. It is located at 12 Emile Botta Street (back from the street down a path), Yemin Moshe, Tel. (02) 625-1967, www.rest.co.il/teenim (Hebrew site only). We had our Trip Advisor dinner in a private room there in May 2008, and were not disappointed. If Doron is managing that night, tell him – you guessed it! – “shalom” for me. As a vegetarian place, Te’enim is kosher.

• You will be walking a lot in the Old City, and there are a thousand places to stop for a drink and a bite to eat. But above them all, I recommend a new, little Armenian restaurant and lounge called Bulghourji at 6 Armenian Patriarchate Road, tel. (052) 628-2080. After you come in the Jaffa Gate, turn right past the Tower of David and the Zion Walking Tours office and post office, and continue down the Armenian Patriarchate Road. You will pass the Armenian Tavern on your left (also reputed to be a good place, but not where I am sending you). This place is a little further on the right, with yellow shutters. The owner Naro is very friendly and runs a great place, and I see real promise in it. So go! Have a sandwich or a delicious Armenian pizza and some Taibeh (Palestinian) beer, wine, or refreshing lemonade with mint. Naro has a lovely, open courtyard in back and has opened a “VIP club” (lounge) downstairs. We liked it so much we stopped in three times while in the city in May 2008, and that tells you something about the lovely, warm atmosphere Naro has created. And the bathrooms are sparking clean, some of the best in the Old City! That is an unbeatable combo.

I HOPE

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Thanks for the detailed and very prompt answer!

Alex

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

In the Old City is Amigo Emil, a Christian owned restaurant. El Khanka st. in the Christian Quarter, 02-6288090. If you want to go there on the 24th book in advance. Moderate prices.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Thank you Shoshi. Do you think I can book upon arrival, mid day on the 22nd?

Alex

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

I also enjoy moderate/casual restaurants, so here are some favorites.

I very much like Tmol Shilshom, but it can be tricky to find, so it might be a good idea to take their phone number so you can call from a cell phone (assuming you have a cell phone with you.)

I passed by Bulghourji (sp?-can't see Douglas' post) and while it was empty because of odd time, it did seem very charming and inviting.

A new discovery during my stay last month in Jerusalem was Kadosh. On Shlomzion Street. It has been around since 1967, and is now run by the original owner's son and daughter-in-law. Lots of locals. Not a chain, although the chains are quite good as well.

jerusalemite.net/guides/716/caf%C3%A9-kadosh

Focaccia, off Hillel Street, not far from the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall, was also quite good and moderately priced (and open on Shabbat if that's helpful). Based on its location I would have thought there would be mostly visitors, but the two times I went, it was mostly Israelis. Nice atmosphere.

www.jerusalemite.net/guides/921/focaccia-bar

Over on the other side of town, close to the Dan Panorama hotel, is Little Italy.

www.jerusalemite.net/guides/867/little-italy

Over by Rehavia, off King George, is Link.

http://www.jerusalemite.net/guides/912/link

By the shuk, don't miss the outstanding Topolino. It is a small place, so be prepared to be squeezed in.

gojerusalem.com/SitePage.aspx…

I got on a bit of a roll there! :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

wao, really impressed with the volume of replies. And restaurants. Enough to feed us for a week:)

Any typics dishes I should try?

Thx

Alex

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

We like talking about food :).

The dairy, vegetables, and fruit in Israel are all outstanding.

If you like salads, you'll be in heaven.

As a North American, the meat is less impressive to me. And fish in Jerusalem is not as good as other places in Israel.

I like pargiyot, often translated as "spring chicken," but is usually chicken thighs. Typically served grilled.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Are there restrictions about drinking water and eating salads, as in Egypt?

Thx

Alex

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

Not at all. The food and the water are very safe for North Americans.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Retaurant and cafe recommendations,?

I suppose you can call Amigo Emil when you arrive. I hope it is not closed because of the holidays or booked for a private party. This is why I recommend calling. For a Christian it might be good to go to a restaurant owned by a Christian, and on top to have a local meal as their food is local. I have eaten there on a regular day and it was fine.